Calmer from Pulse Audio - modifying the acoustics of the ear?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To me a sound-source (musical instrument, bird chirping, DJT talking, etc) does not distort. Nor does the ear. Distortion happens in between, either electronically or through mechanical interference during transmission.
I am purposely omitting distortion caused by perception.
Seems to be a rather limited market for such a device. But then, I thought that about Bose. E

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I think it just cuts higher frequency response. No mention of non-linearity, but it implies trimming the level of harmonics.

It is a psycho-acoustic phenomenon that we are instinctively alert in this band. For example, fight or flight is triggered here, and women are especially alert at 2kHz to the cry of a child.

Could be just what a person needs if they have children that come home an hour after they have gone to sleep :D

If you imagine that inserting this gadget into a pair of young well functioning ears will improve on eons of evolution I have a bridge in New York City I'd like to sell you. These will almost certainly interfere with source localization and directional cues. A wad of cotton would probably provide the same effect for pennies.

I did find that (one) YouTube vid. In the comments he admits he was sent them for review at no cost, although not "paid". He's reviewed a lot of their products before. The strange thing to me is there are not many more YouTube reviews as I'm sure they sent them to others as well. Maybe just need to wait. It would seem the effect is subtle and as far as tinnitus goes, it may only work for some types (eg. Those triggered by external sound rather than constant tinnitus).

They hired someone to test and measure. This is what they said: “We conducted a range of tests on Calmer and found it to significantly reduce sound levels at middle to high frequencies (2 kHz – 8 kHz). This successfully meets Flare’s design objective.”

So the design objective and the testing had nothing to do with distortion just freq response. The other objection I have is one size fits all. Every ear is diferent shape and size. This looks like BS.

This company are well known for this sort of thing. Products with little knowledge/science involved and lots of marketing. With the right marketing you can sell almost anything.
What I don't like are the claims that it can somehow magically improve Tinnitus. Even they admit there is no evidence to support this but tell people it does and sufferers will buy them in the hope that it might work!

Found this interesting product, the Calmer from Pulse Audio, which claims to reduce distortion caused by the ear itself.

Would love to start a discussion, experience with them, the acoustics of the ear, etc.

Calmer Life
– Flare Audio Ltd

I reported Flare Audio to the Advertising Standards Authority (UK) for their outrageous claims /false advertising for a certain product...
And won. Just saying.

Last edited:
I reported Flare Audio to the Advertising Standards Authority (UK) for their outrageous claims /false advertising for a certain product...
And won. Just saying.
Interesting. The ads I've seen seem to push the "it cured my Tinnitus!" angle pretty hard, for a product which might help a bit, with only certain kinds of Tinnitus, but without clinical trials etcetera. I suspect they will find themselves falling foul of the rules again.

I see. 2dB less distortion. But they do seem to do a good job at reducing overall levels in the range of 2-8kHz, and at higher levels this may also contribute to perceived distortion.

Based on the results in this document, I think these might be worth trying after all... Screenshot_20200715_150829_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg Screenshot_20200715_150655_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg Screenshot_20200715_150805_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.