Healthy alternatives to foam or rock/glass wool

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm ready to build some large sound absorption panels for my home (in several rooms) but rather than using 'acoustic foam' or rock/glass wool I would prefer to use something more natural with no VOCs, lung-irritating fibres, etc.

I found an interesting article about healthier alternatives in SOS magazine but the article is already a bit out of date and there was no performance comparison of the options listed: The Green Studio

Does anyone know of a group test comparing some of the greener options such as sheep wool, hemp, coconut fibre, etc? Ideally the material should be fire and insect resistant.

FWIW, I'm planning to build some cloth-covered frames around 1.2m high, 2m long and 10cm deep to house the 4-7cm of insulation plus a modest air gap between the insulation layer and the wall. Something like this:

52774-13873557.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know of any comparative tests, but sheep wool insulation seems to have many advantages e.g. as well as offering 'outstanding' sound insulation, it resists bursting into flame.

A great thing about sheep wool is that it doesn’t burn; it is just about the only fibre that naturally resists flaming and as soon as the flame is removed it will actually self-extinguish.
As a result of the wool’s high nitrogen content, it will simply smoulder and singe away instead of bursting into flame. In fact you will need to heat the wool to a temperature in excess of 560°C before it burns.
The advantages of sheep wool insulation - TheGreenAge

For anyone interested, here is a UK supplier: thermafleece environmentally friendly acoustic infill for stud walls

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes to sheep's wool, very good indeed. But $$$$

In North America there is UltraTouch by Bonded Logic. It performs about the same as fiberglass in the higher resisters. better in the low end.
We also have a sort of spun wood panel that I can never remember the name of that has been found in schools for 70 years. I don't remember seeing it in Europe.
Coconut fiber would be cool if it lasts.

FWIW, I built a set of panels using fiberglass and they worked very well. The upholstery fabric I used to cover them was so thick there wasn't any chance of the fiberglass getting out. There is a thread about them here somewhere.

We also have a sort of spun wood panel that I can never remember the name of that has been found in schools for 70 years. I don't remember seeing it in Europe.

Oh that has been used for decades here (The Netherlands) also. Heraklith is wood fiber, has excellent sound absorption, is cheap and readily available. My basement ceiling is completely covered with it, excellent high frequency absorption, sadly no air gap, as it was placed there as fire retardant.

@galu
From the FAQ"

FAQ Frequently Asked Questions | ROCKWOOL

"Standard ROCKWOOL products do currently use a phenol formaldehyde binder during production. During manufacturing, the binder is cured at very high temperatures leaving only trace amounts in the product after it is produced. ROCKWOOL AFB®, SAFE’n’SOUND®, and COMFORTBATT® have all achieved GREENGUARD GOLD status for indoor air quality.

ROCKWOOL also offers a no added formaldehyde product, AFB evo™, starting July 1st 2017. This product is produced with a new formaldehyde free binder, and retains all of the properties of the original AFB® product."

https://cdn01.rockwool.com/siteasse...ical-fire-batts-techdata.pdf?f=20200422073435
https://cdn01.rockwool.com/siteasse...rmaldehyde-free-techdata.pdf?f=20190515124416

@Pano
I think the name that escaped you also frequently escapes me: Tectum
TECTUM Direct-Attach Wall Panels | Armstrong Ceiling Solutions – Commercial

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.