Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Healthy alternatives to foam or rock/glass wool
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2020, 05:02 PM   #41
jamesblonde is offline jamesblonde  Italy
diyAudio Member

^ Definitely interesting but unfortunately most of the materials examined are not natural or sustainable.

Also interesting to note that the "Schafwolle extra" (high-density sheep's wool) performed better than Basotect below 1,000 Hz (the region I am most interested in taming).

Perhaps the answer (for me) is to form very high density sheep wool by compressing 10cm thick batts to 6cm between two layers of aluminium grating like below. After all, the Broadway panel seems to work very well and appears to be just highly compressed glass wool.

unnamed.jpg

This would also maintain an air gap between the wool and the wall.

Last edited by jamesblonde; 7th June 2020 at 05:09 PM.
Old 7th June 2020, 06:51 PM   #42
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Another favourite of mine is felt rug underlayer. Gotta have acoustic qualities among the best and comes in convenient rolls. (I used to collect stuff like that... nice to have a big house if you're a DIY person).

Pity wall to wall carpeting is out of fashion (except in my house). Doing a whole floor (bathrooms excepted) with wool carpet and felt underlayer will make your home soundscape (an interesting book, I forget author) high amenity.

B.
Old 8th June 2020, 01:41 AM   #43
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

In the tropics we don't see the wool underlayment. Seems that foam is the thing.
Old 8th June 2020, 02:03 AM   #44
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
In the tropics we don't see the wool underlayment. Seems that foam is the thing.
Yes, major difference in price. But the foam is likely just invisible to sound or a least no more effect than the equivalent air space.

B.
Old 8th June 2020, 02:39 AM   #45
454Casull is offline 454Casull  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
Yes, major difference in price. But the foam is likely just invisible to sound or a least no more effect than the equivalent air space.

B.
Which foam are we talking about again?
Old 8th June 2020, 02:40 AM   #46
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The mats of chipped foam rubber that is used these days under carpet. Often a greenish color.
Old 8th June 2020, 02:48 AM   #47
454Casull is offline 454Casull  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
The mats of chipped foam rubber that is used these days under carpet. Often a greenish color.
Oh. Underpad.

I have some... let me yell into it and see what happens.

EDIT: A few layers of 1/2" underpad seem to have some effect on treble but I don't think I hear much absorption in the mids. Note: extremely non-rigorous testing was performed.

Last edited by 454Casull; 8th June 2020 at 02:54 AM.
  Reply to this post

Healthy alternatives to foam or rock/glass woolHide this!Advertise here!