Speaker Placement New Venue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I just wanted to quickly discuss what other alternatives for the speaker placement in a friends new venue. Most problematic would be the subwoofers.. we have a couple of Meyer 1100‑LFCs standing upright... i was going to propose the idea on coupling the subwoofers together somewhere else in the venue. The logistics on turning them on the side mean that we have limitations on space and we can't center couple them together. The DJ Table is directly above and we are using turntables, We don't want to introduce feedback even though we have isolation. Would there be any other beneficial placements in the room. The semi transparent wall is an installation of a cage which can't be moved.

I have a measurement microphone and i will be taking some acoustic measurements of the room, the Tops have been rigged into the ceiling with chains and they can't be moved either. It's a tricky one really. Ideally i would like to place them center under the table, have them radiating more like one source to prevent as much nulls that we are currently encountering.

This is our first priority really, as for room acoustics for absorption in the higher freqs we will worry about that later. Bass is our biggest priority for now.

Apologies for the rushed post and any issues with my grammar. Just wanting to be reminded for where would be best as i am now reading contradicting information stating that placing the subwoofers either end of the room could also be beneficial... (See last shot)

Kind Regs

DT

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 22.53.31.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 22.53.31.png
    190.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 22.53.39.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 22.53.39.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 164
  • Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 23.05.54.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 23.05.54.png
    120.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 23.09.57.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 23.09.57.png
    118.4 KB · Views: 161
You might be getting mixed signals because placing across from each other does something different than placing them next to each other.

Go to the paper: https://www.harman.com/sites/default/files/multsubs_0.pdf

Bow to the paper.
Read the paper.
And then place them across from each other like in your last pic.

Putting them side by side in the middle may give you the best bottom end extension, but it will vary much more across the room. For a dance floor or something I'd imagine you'd want as smooth a response from spot to spot and low end extension would be a secondary goal.

Hope that helps.

I would try one sub (upright) with its left side to the back wall, drivers facing the right (middle) wall (width of the box from the wall) and put the 2nd sub on top of it. Or use the left corner if the Dj has problems with it like needle skipping or being to loud.
This way all drivers are coupled to the walls and each other and you probably will have the most sound in front of the dj booth and best SQ in the whole room, especially when sound levels go up.

And don't put the top speakers in a horizontal line next to each other but vertical. (tweeters as close as possible) This makes a lot of difference in how much comb-filtering issues you experience as our ears are in the horizontal plane.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.