Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Absorption in cars
Absorption in cars
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2019, 03:54 AM   #11
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I had a small car and placed the 8 drivers in small sealed boxes up under the dash, facing downward. The 4 mids, and tweeters were under factory grills on top of the dash, and were carefully aimed at the windshield such that the reflection for each speaker was trained on the opposite side ear.
This provided a nice full image from the front, and the imaging effect was incredible. The car was all glass it seemed, yet the sound was great from a 30w+30w amp. The key likely was that the distances between the drivers and the listeners were consistent.

Inside doors, you can use a closed-cell foam product that is made for use inside hvac ducting/plenums to reduce noise.
Old 21st August 2019, 08:19 AM   #12
JScoyne2 is offline JScoyne2
diyAudio Member

So I've been reading up on absorption and diffusion in regards to car audio and there is precious little out there. I've seen some people say its really important to treat the first reflection and others say it's best to leave first reflections alone.

I've also seen people say that you shouldn't treat more than 20% of a room.

In a car though. I think most practiced theory goes out the window. We're not talking a square room and most rooms aren't going to have a TON of initial reflections within a foot of the speaker.

Im curious of what treating the car with significant amounts of foam would accomplish. I know in home theaters, you don't want to "take the life out of the room" with too much deadener but in a vehicle. There is always going to be a significant amount of reflections that you can never treat because..glass..glass everywhere.

Im thinking of this.

Foam under the dash, like behind it where you can't see without getting on your knees and looking behind it.

Rebuilding the center console to be alot smaller and have less initial reflections from the speakers crossfiring.

Lowering the center console as well as putting dense or perhaps wedge shaped foam where the center console was. Ill probably use a strong material to create a shape but put a ton of holes in it and foam behind it.

1-2in of pyramid foam on the dash, sew it to my existing dash mat.

And 3in wedge foam in the lower panels.

As well as most likely thick foam on the back deck for any long wavelength interactions.

Some would argue that you don't put foam in a car because you can't get enough to actually have an impact but i disagree.

Since a car is so tremendously reflective. Even 1/2in of foam is going to have a large impact. Sound has to go into the foam, then exit it. Effectively making it worth 1", plus bounce around the cabin and into/out of the foam how many times before it reaches the listener??

In a car though, I've noticed that you actually get width and depth from reflections. If you were blind folded and put into a room or theater or amphitheatre and someone played music. You could tell exactly how big an area was, not from the direct sound but from the echos of reflective sound.

Im worried that i may end up having an extremely tonally pleasing system that are either stuck to the dimensions of the vehicle width wise, or make it so each speaker is super locatable because they aren't playing as one soundfield but instead multiple.

Absorption in carsHide this!Advertise here!