Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Suggestions for my room setup and room acoustics?
Suggestions for my room setup and room acoustics?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2019, 11:05 AM   #1
cdub92 is offline cdub92
diyAudio Member

Default Suggestions for my room setup and room acoustics?

Hello,
Iíve been a member of this site for only a short time now and Iíve been doing more reading than anything else since Iíve joined. Iíve attached a picture that I drew on my phone of my room dimensions. Iíd like to add that the walls are wood paneling, the floors are carpeted, the windows have blinds and heavy blackout curtains hangin over them, and other than that I havenít added any other treatment.
The sound as of now is fairly balanced although at times I find the bass a bit strong and boomy while the treble and mids are lacking. Other times the bass isnít as overbearing but can be a bit punchy but empty at the same time if that makes sense. I have a pair of Infinity rs8 floorstanders as my fronts. When running my receiver (pioneer vsx-502) in studio or pro logic modes I have a pair of Bose model 21 speakers as my rears.. which are located in between the two tower speakers.
I have two foam mattress pads that I have cut up into 1x1 squares to use as sound absorption panels. I know these are the best choice or the most efficient.. but itís what I have at the moment. Suggestions on cheap DIY panels or even free ones that would work better would be appreciated.. anyway, I was going to start by adding a few squares behind each speaker, on the left and right walls at the reflection points, and maybe the ceiling? There no wall behind my listening position so I wonít be adding any there.

Are my room dimensions within reason for a good listening room? Or should I move it to the second bedroom? Itís a 10íx12íx12í room. Suggestions for setting up the system differently? Panel placement and or diy panels that will be better than mattress padding? Iím on a very tight budget and would like to keep it to things I have laying around for now. I want to find a way to balance out the sound a little more since I donít have many tuning options on my receiver. Thanks in advance.

Caleb
Attached Images
File Type: png 415D9523-230D-46CC-B0EE-6315014D0598.png (315.4 KB, 23 views)

Suggestions for my room setup and room acoustics?Hide this!Advertise here!