Suggestions for my room setup and room acoustics?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I’ve been a member of this site for only a short time now and I’ve been doing more reading than anything else since I’ve joined. I’ve attached a picture that I drew on my phone of my room dimensions. I’d like to add that the walls are wood paneling, the floors are carpeted, the windows have blinds and heavy blackout curtains hangin over them, and other than that I haven’t added any other treatment.
The sound as of now is fairly balanced although at times I find the bass a bit strong and boomy while the treble and mids are lacking. Other times the bass isn’t as overbearing but can be a bit punchy but empty at the same time if that makes sense. I have a pair of Infinity rs8 floorstanders as my fronts. When running my receiver (pioneer vsx-502) in studio or pro logic modes I have a pair of Bose model 21 speakers as my rears.. which are located in between the two tower speakers.
I have two foam mattress pads that I have cut up into 1x1 squares to use as sound absorption panels. I know these are the best choice or the most efficient.. but it’s what I have at the moment. Suggestions on cheap DIY panels or even free ones that would work better would be appreciated.. anyway, I was going to start by adding a few squares behind each speaker, on the left and right walls at the reflection points, and maybe the ceiling? There no wall behind my listening position so I won’t be adding any there.

Are my room dimensions within reason for a good listening room? Or should I move it to the second bedroom? It’s a 10’x12’x12’ room. Suggestions for setting up the system differently? Panel placement and or diy panels that will be better than mattress padding? I’m on a very tight budget and would like to keep it to things I have laying around for now. I want to find a way to balance out the sound a little more since I don’t have many tuning options on my receiver. Thanks in advance.

Caleb

Attachments

• 415D9523-230D-46CC-B0EE-6315014D0598.png
    415D9523-230D-46CC-B0EE-6315014D0598.png
    315.4 KB · Views: 136
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.