Acoustic ceiling or standard tiles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am having a basement room made with sheet rock walls and vinyl flooring. Both ends of the room have to have sheet rock ceiling to accommodate the plumbing and heating ducts. The center of the room is about 12 x 15 feet. It will have a drop ceiling and the Armstrong material I am looking at is about $1100 for standard tiles and $2200 for acoustic tiles.

Which way should I go? The standard look fine to me. What will doubling the material cost do for me if anything?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Ceiling reflections can be particularly annoying. Some of us might want an insulation batt over each speaker reflection point. Maybe even an open ceiling area that can be covered in with the batts. Possibly even a reflector that redirects the sound to another absorber. These could be covered with fabric.

Ceiling reflections can be particularly annoying. Some of us might want an insulation batt over each speaker reflection point. Maybe even an open ceiling area that can be covered in with the batts. Possibly even a reflector that redirects the sound to another absorber. These could be covered with fabric.

It sounds like you're advocating the extra $$. It is very hard to know in advance whether the room will have issues. You could have asked Avery Fisher about this as he paid to have the hall renovated twice.
That is my delimma too.
Will I pay twice?

Jerry's Brokendown Palaces: Avery Fisher Hall, Lincoln Center Plaza, New York, NY

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks for the story. Many people advocate elliptical waveguides, even ones that are compromised, in size and shape, rather than install a ceiling cloud. They seem to like their solutions to be self contained.

I like to take the limitations off my source and let it be ;)

By the way, I've tried both. Considered the strength of the reflection, the success of doing it each way, the benefits where multi-way speakers are concerned, each having their own reflection path.

You have this opportunity. I'm not suggesting it need cost a lot. I also don't know how transparent or effective these tiles are.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.