Finally decided to do something about my room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

As usual, I did my room acoustic project ***-backwards, as I didn't have the means to do any measurements before starting. But, I had a week off work and I wanted to get it done. Nothing really extensive... just the basics to tighten up the bass and catch the reflections bouncing of a window behind my listening spot on the sofa.

On the rear wall I covered aforementioned window with a large panel of 4-inch Rockwool 60, and placed two smaller 2-inch Rockwool 60 panels on either side. A Carver Audio banner serves as the fabric cover on the window panel. I'm already regretting not making the smaller panels deeper so as to allow an air space behind them-- for that reason, I may end up remaking them, depending on the results.

On the front wall, I added floor-to-ceiling corner traps with 6-inch Rockwool 60. One of the corner traps had to wrap around a bar shelf but I made it work. I also made a movable pedestal panel with 2-inch Rockwool 60.

Unwisely; I didn't do a lot of research before starting this project, so anticipate some change may be needed. I can already hear some improvements but I will hold off posting my impressions until I get Room EQ Wizard connected, learn how to use it, and finally get my system dialed in.

Below are some build pics:

Attachments

• wall frames.jpeg
    wall frames.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 258
  • frame shop.jpeg
    frame shop.jpeg
    291.1 KB · Views: 249
  • sofa 2.jpeg
    sofa 2.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 248
  • trap frame.jpeg
    trap frame.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 267
  • right trap .jpeg
    right trap .jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 257
  • left trap .jpeg
    left trap .jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 188
Nice execution. Your finish skills are better than mine by a long shot.

For the rear panels, you may not need to remake them though, you could just add an air gap by hanging them with thicker french cleats using 2x4 or something instead of the metal tab ones.

If you need any more deep bass trapping, remember that where the wall meets the ceiling is just as effective as where two walls meet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.