Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Toole says a lot of room EQ is stupid
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2019, 05:46 PM   #1
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Toole says a lot of room EQ is stupid

Some of you might be aware of Toole's critique of room EQ.

See:

An Enticing Marketing Story, Theory Without Measurement? | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

And if you look at post 386, you'll find my explanation of the psychology heuristics underlying stereo perception.

B.

Last edited by bentoronto; 28th June 2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 14th September 2019, 06:09 PM   #2
digitalthor is offline digitalthor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I tried to read most of it. And what I got out of it, is that EQ works well from around 500hz and below. And this is something I see very few people argue against.
It's not the EQ itself, It's mostly a problem with measurements and interpreting the measurement in general - which can go totally wild when pushing some "auto" button in any program.
There is no free lunch - so it's still very important to understand what you do, when manipulting the signal. Just MO.
Old 14th September 2019, 06:36 PM   #3
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Toole's critique is that the room doesn't disappear no matter what sound you pipe into it.

When you EQ, you aren't EQ'ing the room (which you can't do by changing the input signal, eh). You are correcting the speakers. The room and its eigentones remain and do not change by EQ.

At some level of analysis, you are falsifying the recording so as to satisfy a mic placed where your head normally is but perhaps just confusing a brain that has learned and retains the schema for that room.

Last edited by bentoronto; 14th September 2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 14th September 2019, 10:37 PM   #4
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

Interesting.
Old 15th September 2019, 06:26 AM   #5
digitalthor is offline digitalthor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
Toole's critique is that the room doesn't disappear no matter what sound you pipe into it.

When you EQ, you aren't EQ'ing the room (which you can't do by changing the input signal, eh). You are correcting the speakers. The room and its eigentones remain and do not change by EQ.

At some level of analysis, you are falsifying the recording so as to satisfy a mic placed where your head normally is but perhaps just confusing a brain that has learned and retains the schema for that room.

And I agree. My experience tells me the following 4 things - which by the way works great here at home.

1. Above around 3-500hz you measure the speaker without the room and make it work smoothly, both on and off axis.
2. Below 3-500hz you can and should use EQ according to the listening position and speaker placement.
3. Use multiple subs below around 80-100hz with EQ.

4. It helps with integration if the main speakers can manage to play deeper than the 80-100hz, where subwooferes are normally crossed - this means having an overlap from the mains to the subs, where the mains fall off slowly and the subs steeper.

Toole says a lot of room EQ is stupidHide this!Advertise here!