Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Desk speaker, ported or closed
Desk speaker, ported or closed
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2019, 08:04 PM   #1
Colakurt is offline Colakurt  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Desk speaker, ported or closed

I am planning to build som small two way speakers with inspiration from the Speedster Speedster - undefinition by Paul Carmody. My version however will be 100% active with DSP to take care of the crossover and gain.
They will be placed on my work desk and this is where my question is. Can i expect amplification in the bas region from the speaker coupling to the desk? and if so, how can i calculate the gain?

Also, in a configuration like this, would it be an idea to exploit the coupling gain and the DSP capabilities and use a closed box design instead of a ported?
Old 29th June 2019, 11:54 PM   #2
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

The built a pair of speakers for my desk and they sounded great....but.....when I lifted the up on 2" spikes the bass got noticeably tighter and better separation between bass notes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160620_111623.jpg (495.2 KB, 36 views)

Desk speaker, ported or closedHide this!Advertise here!