Speaker sounds good only in corners and packed space

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
Full range speaker sounds really good with good amount of bass but only in corners. When I place it on a table then there is not much left of bass to be heard.
I made a sealed enclosure for peerless TC8FD05-04 by following data from parts express which was 0.055 cubic feet for sealed box. I made it from mdf and it's quiet a heavy enclosure. Used online calculator for final dimensions and I stuffed it with three hand full of polyfil. I am going to build a ported enclosure for the same driver but before that I want to clear out this issue.

This should probably go in the full range forum. I dunno, it's right on the edge.

Long story short: You don't get bass because you don't have bass.

That driver can only get down to about 150Hz in a sealed enclosure. The bass you're looking for is probably the 50-100Hz range. Porting with that driver will get you closer, 88Hz, but still probably not enough for your tastes.

Bass builds in corners, pressure increases as the wave travels along the walls and combine there. The effect works the opposite if you put the speaker there, it works as a kind of bass horn, focusing the wave out towards you instead of letting it rap around the speaker and expand as much. This is known as 2pi space, where as a speaker just out in the room is in 4pi space. You can google and read up on these terms.

In order to get the basss you're looking for you probably need WAW. In the full range section of the forum this is relatively popular. It stands for Woofer Assisted Wideband. Use the full range for the majority, then cross to a midwoofer/woofer/subwoofer on the low end as needed.

If you port the driver, get it down to 88 Hz, then cross to a subwoofer at 100Hz it shouldn't be too localizable and should sound pretty good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.