Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Room EQ
Room EQ
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2019, 06:15 AM   #1
tribute is offline tribute  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Room EQ

Hi, I want to try out Room EQ with my computer set up, but I need a suitable mic & am on a very tight bet. Can anyone recommend a suitable mic I could use.
Thanks for looking
Old 6th June 2019, 01:21 PM   #2
mushroommunk is offline mushroommunk  United States
diyAudio Member

Could you put a number on your tight budget?

At the minimum you need some sort of omnidirectional mic that measures relatively flat or you have a calibration file for. I'd start by looking on craigslist or other "for sale" sections of audio related sites and see if you can't find a used umik1 or maybe used Behringer ECM8000.

If you can't find any good deals then you could try something like this: 3.5 MM jack mic

A step up from that would be a new miniDSP umik1 or Dayton UMM-6.

A step up from that would be something calibrated like the one from cross spectrum

And from there it just keeps going up. Earthworks can easily hit $1k and so on.

That 3.5mm jack mic reviews well but I personally can't speak to it and you'll need to find an extension cable to use it with a computer.

Also, since this is diyaudio, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention you could try making your own

If you're only trying to eq 15Hz up to 5kHz the diy route isn't terrible from what I've seen. Most of what I posted will work, it's just, how exact do you want to be? I personally went for the calibrated umik-1, but I think I would have been fine with the diy version for now. Maybe I'll build and compare some time.

Another thing of note, pay attention to what you get. Some mics work as USB, some require something called phantom power. Ones requiring phantom power will need an amplifier. You can DIY those boards as well and get reasonable quality, but I don't know much about what's needed as I went USB route myself.
Old 7th June 2019, 01:28 PM   #3
mountainman bob is offline mountainman bob  United States
diyAudio Member

I use the Dayton umm-6.....it works surprisingly well.

I think it was around $30 then $7 or 8 more for the app
Old 12th June 2019, 07:56 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Thanks for the replies, nax I would like to spend is around $25.
Have spotted quite a few of these on the Bay.
AUDYSSEY ACM1HB SOUND CALIBRATION MICROPHONE--FREE Shipping. NEVER used. | eBay

Dayton umm-6 is now around $85.
Old 12th June 2019, 01:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'd suggest avoiding the audyssey mics and other receiver calibration microphones. They're the exception to the bit about only needing a decent omnidirectional mic.

They're usually set up in a way that's useful for the receiver and it's internal EQ algorithm, but can lead to spurrious results with just measuring into your pc. Some people say the frequency response looks okay but the levels are just low, in which case you could make it work, others say it's a crapshoot.

They might work, they might not. It's kind of hit or miss sadly and with a limited budget I'd advise against it myself. If you were doing room treatments and just trying to see a relative difference (like did you affect 35 Hz or 45 Hz) then I'd call it okay. Since you want to setup EQ then it's a little bit more important you know the graph you're tweaking is right.
Old 13th June 2019, 06:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi, Yes I want to mainly correct the bass in the room. So really I should watch out for an Audyssy that is not tied to a manufacturer brand. One of their open brand versions.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 13th June 2019, 01:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'll had one more thing. Before you get into digital EQ. Have you added any room treatments? Some of the bass problems you're likely to have CAN'T be corrected digitally.

Trying to boos a dip in the frequency response may be dumping more energy in to a room cancellation which will just make the dip worse and possibly burn out your amp and/or woofer.
Old 13th June 2019, 01:36 PM   #8
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

When it comes to boosting a dip, it can be worth a try, but I'd limit it to around 6dB max
Old 13th June 2019, 06:17 PM   #9
mountainman bob is offline mountainman bob  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribute View Post
Hi Thanks for the replies, nax I would like to spend is around $25.

Dayton umm-6 is now around $85.
Huh.....$30 must be what I told the wife it cost, it’s hard keeping up sometimes!

Edit..... well I see what the problem is, it should be imm 6

And it’s actually under $20 +$7 for app

Sorry about that......it works quite well for what it is.

Last edited by mountainman bob; 13th June 2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 14th June 2019, 04:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Mountainman, Thanks for clarification, yes I will go with that one then. I can think of a couple of uses with the mobile phone after I have done the room calibration.
Unfortunately I cannot put room dampers in the room as it's the lounge & she who must be obeyed will not hear of it!! (oh for a quiet life) Thanks for all your help

Room EQHide this!Advertise here!