Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Converting office in a large garage. Advice?
Converting office in a large garage. Advice?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2019, 04:16 AM   #1
Glrisley is offline Glrisley  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Converting office in a large garage. Advice?

I recently purchased a country property that has a 50'd x 40'w x 20'h metal building workshop. Inside is an office which has drywall and insulted walls with 8' ceiling. The office has a little odd layout but I think I could build a nice listening room for myself. I'm not worried about disturbing anyone with sound leaks since its out in the country and not attached to the house. I've attached pics of where in the shop the office is located along with the current layout and some of my layout ideas. Love to hear others ideas of what I should do. I'm in no rush and I do have building skills. Removing the interior wall would not be a problem but moving the toilet would be difficult. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 Channel Listening Room Plan.jpg (264.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 3D Garage.jpg (327.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Full Garage-1.jpg (154.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Listen Room #1-1.jpg (176.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Listening Room #2-1.jpg (182.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 28th May 2019, 12:49 PM   #2
mushroommunk is offline mushroommunk  United States
diyAudio Member

From an acoustics standpoint I see two issues. One, having as large a room as possible helps with room modes, but two, the large window to the right of the listening position.

That window will throw off the balance of the image if you don't plan for it and treat the opposing wall. Or, you say you're handy, you could build a "plug" that sets into the window. I've seen a lot of people make them friction fit so they stay, but add a handle for easy removal in case of fire.

My vote would be the first option you have, with the small room just for the bathroom. Then build a plug for the window to the right, and treat from there like a normal room.
Old 28th May 2019, 05:28 PM   #3
Glrisley is offline Glrisley  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you. It’s nice to have another set of eyes look at my ideas. I do plan to cover the walls for looks and acoustics. I’m leaning towards floating stained ply boards on the walls, so covering the windows wouldn’t be a problem. The bathroom sticking out into the room makes me wonder how much that would effect the sound. I’ve even considered removing the drywall and just adding sound batting and the wrapping the bathroom walls with Gillfords cloth. Kind turn the bathroom into an absorber/bass trap? Thanks again.
Old 12th June 2019, 07:12 AM   #4
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

It's a huge space Lucky you.
From a simple point of view just adding something on some of the walls and some of the ceiling or roof to absorb / stop reflections seems to be all you need. I don't see that the office will really have much effect if you use some simple but dense wall hangings. Being in Texas some Chief Joseph blankets would be appropriate

Converting office in a large garage. Advice?Hide this!Advertise here!