Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Speaker Positioning
Speaker Positioning
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2019, 03:46 AM   #11
AllenB is online now AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
..little.
I've heard it said that Australians speak more quickly than most, yet many of us have little of importance to say
Old 16th July 2019, 10:05 PM   #12
freedomgli is online now freedomgli
diyAudio Member

I start with Cardas recommended distances from front and side walls and then experiment from there with small changes and trial and error. Once it seems good to me I then run Dirac Live. Itís an iterative approach. Same with room treatments. I get them close using rule of thumb and then dial them in by ear and using measurements and frequency analysis.
Old 18th July 2019, 07:40 AM   #13
stvnharr is offline stvnharr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
I start with Cardas recommended distances from front and side walls and then experiment from there with small changes and trial and error. Once it seems good to me I then run Dirac Live. Itís an iterative approach. Same with room treatments. I get them close using rule of thumb and then dial them in by ear and using measurements and frequency analysis.
Thanks. Just the kind of post I was looking for in this thread.
Old 19th July 2019, 07:34 PM   #14
Think is online now Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Speaker Positioning
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnharr View Post
Good to have a somewhat divergent opinion.
Of course you wrote BW 2016 video when you meant the Wilson Audio video. Maybe you don't think much of his "Zone of Neutrality", but if you try it yourself you should easily hear the sound of your voice change when you move away from the wall as in the video. Still, you may think nothing of it.

You write that you disregard my phrase "perfect phase", and then write a paragraph about perfect phase being essential in the bass. You have thus confirmed the whole purpose of my first procedural step, getting the bass as good as possible. Getting the bass right is also what David Wilson does, and also the person who came up with the "Sumiko Method", Stirling Trayle, does. So I suppose we do mostly agree here, okay.

My pic does not show all. The speakers are 2 1/2 way and there is a sub in the corner to the right of the right speaker that fills in the bottom couple of octaves and has a steep midbass cutoff.

But mostly I would be interested in what you do to get your speakers positioned for the sound you describe, as the end result seems much the same as what I aim for. Perhaps that was not clear in my presentation.
I'm assuming you use some method or procedure to do this, and you should be able to explain it.
Biggest problem I have with "perfect fase", is that is will never be more then the best compromise fase.

When setting up speakers in a living room I first look at the room dimensions and make those and whole fractions like 1/2 1/4 of those lengths the 'forbidden' distances to walls (ceiling and floor included).
I like to use the golden ratio or 1: Phi (1 : 1.608 or about 5:8) as often as practically possible. I.e. when the ceiling is 2.5m in height, divide it by Phi and you get 1.55m. That distance from the ceiling or floor makes a good height for the woofers of you top/main speakers. Ideally you want the sound sources to be less then 1/4 of the wavelengths they emit or more then 2 wavelength apart and half of that to boundaries/walls. But most living rooms are to small for this and you will have to make some compromises here, but most important is that no 2 distances to walls are the same.
The type of speakers, roomsize and x-over frequency to the sub/bass woofer matter here but in general I Like high passes to be steeper then the low passes. And the smaller the room the higher the x-over.

Last edited by Think; 19th July 2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 24th July 2019, 01:14 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think View Post
Biggest problem I have with "perfect fase", is that is will never be more then the best compromise fase.

When setting up speakers in a living room I first look at the room dimensions and make those and whole fractions like 1/2 1/4 of those lengths the 'forbidden' distances to walls (ceiling and floor included).
I like to use the golden ratio or 1: Phi (1 : 1.608 or about 5:8) as often as practically possible. I.e. when the ceiling is 2.5m in height, divide it by Phi and you get 1.55m. That distance from the ceiling or floor makes a good height for the woofers of you top/main speakers. Ideally you want the sound sources to be less then 1/4 of the wavelengths they emit or more then 2 wavelength apart and half of that to boundaries/walls. But most living rooms are to small for this and you will have to make some compromises here, but most important is that no 2 distances to walls are the same.
The type of speakers, room size and x-over frequency to the sub/bass woofer matter here but in general I Like high passes to be steeper then the low passes. And the smaller the room the higher the x-over.
Hi, Thanks for this post. I think I now understand what you are doing.
I have also taken consideration of some of your points and I have made some changes to my write up of what I do.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Simplified Speaker Setup.doc (37.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 31st July 2019, 12:40 PM   #16
Think is online now Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Speaker Positioning
Yw, that reads like a sound plan.
For my last post I was looking for A Master Class in speaker placement and keep in mind that the floor and ceiling are walls as well.

We are looking for the least bad locations for the speakers (least acoustical problems) and call that the best locations for that room.
Old 2nd August 2019, 01:44 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think View Post
Yw, that reads like a sound plan.
For my last post I was looking for A Master Class in speaker placement and keep in mind that the floor and ceiling are walls as well.

We are looking for the least bad locations for the speakers (least acoustical problems) and call that the best locations for that room.
I watched the complete video and there are some good points raised, like set the bass for smoothest and best bass, then firm up the stereo image, and use music to do this. This is exactly what I do.
However, I set out a procedure for doing this, and the video does not. But nonetheless, the video is good.

Speaker PositioningHide this!Advertise here!