How on earth can I stick some foam panels to my walls (apartment building)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive tried everything and nothing really sticks forever. ive tried applying duct tape to the foam panel. then two strips of double sided scotch tape on that. then an upside down piece of duct tape stuck to that. and the problem is every kind of tape i use doesnt have enough stickyness to stick to my walls without falling off. so all the tape came off still stuck to the foam panel. but none was left on the wall.
I tried washing and cleaning the wall with a damp towel and scrubbing the walls until my hands are sore and tired
and it sticks a tiny bit better but still falls off after a couple days/weeks

I'm desperate to get them to stick to the walls without damaging the walls/paint. i cant put any holes or anything. no nails or screws.
not even a needle-size hole can be stuck to the wall. I wish I could just use thumbtacks but we cant do anything like that.
command strips would stick too well. i've dealt with those before and they rip the whole layer of paint right off the wall with it. and i had to use TOOTHPASTE to try to cover up the mistake.

I need something thats half as sticky or less as command strips so it can peel off without damaging the paint. and still stay stuck enough to the wall without falling off

I already have the foam panels. i dont wanna just leave them sitting in a pile.
I'm looking for some kind of double sided sticky adhesive/tape that will peel off without leaving any mess behind but stay stuck enough to not fall off.
specifically from amazon if I can find it on amazon. i have a lot of panels to put up so i'll need quite a few pieces of tape/adhesive just strong enough to hold them up and not fall off.

I have some big 2.5" thick large 2 by 4 feet wide rectangle foam single foam panels (4 of them) one for each wall

Have you tried Command Strips?

I haven't used them in a while but remember them sticking well for the most part. They make different sizes to hold different weights, or you can double up. Lots of stores have them or as you asked for they're on Amazon.

Edit: Also, just using a damp cloth to was the wall won't be enough. You need at least a tiny dab of soap. The problem is oils from various things combine with the dust to make a slick surface the the tape doesn't stick to. Shouldn't have to scrub, just a few wipes. Fill a bowl with water, just a drop of soap, rinse cloth, wipe, rinse cloth, wipe, done.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
He did try Command strips.
command strips would stick too well. i've dealt with those before and they rip the whole layer of paint right off the wall with it. and i had to use TOOTHPASTE to try to cover up the mistake.
It was going to be my suggestion, too. :( I've used them in hotel rooms for audios hows with good luck. But that was for no more than 3 days. Longer and I've seen the paint peel.

Maybe really strong magnets on the foam that would grab the drywall screws? Probably not, just thinking. I suspect Moondog's idea of floor stands is going to be the best idea.

Sorry, I totally missed that. You know in the US having to touch up paint is generally expected by landlords and usually written as one of the things not able to charge against the security deposit. Also, how did you remove the command strips? I realized you really have to pull straight down and slowly for it to come off, but when you do that it comes off just fine.

Anything that will stick to the wall and hold up the panels is probably going to rip paint I'd imagine.

Almost 20 years back ( for live sound purposes within ballrooms ) I made a flyable system of sound baffles that used 2" deep Auralex ( x3, 2'x4' panels ) that were a-fixed ( via velcro ) onto 4'x6', 1/2" deep Black Gator Board.

Long, heavy duty Eye-Bolts were screwed into the ends allowing these panels to be hung by sash cord.

If I was in the OPs place I would do as suggested in post 3 and build a temporary frame system ( post & joist, made with 2x4 lumber) that holds itself in place via a simple friction fit ( iow; jambed in place as if you are shoring up a crumbling rock roof, within a coal-mine ).

Cedar-shake wedges can be used to tighten the vertical posts ( especially needed in older buildings if they contract & swell with humidity swings ).

The frame when placed along the wall, will give hanging points for the foam baffles ( which need to be glued onto foam-core or gator board using 3M Super 77 glue or something similar ).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

When one moves out, the contraption is simple enough to dismantle.

The horizontal 2'x4' ( acting as a joist ) could have 1/8" high, sticky-backed foam placed on the 2x4 wide face ( every couple of feet ) to provide protection to the ceiling paint.

If more monies are available then one can use adjustable cargo-bars as the vertical up-rights.

:)

i took off the command strip within 5 MINUTES and it stuck so well it ripped a huge chunk off the wall. there was NO peeling it. it was double sided glued no velcro. so no where to peel it from.
it stuck better than SUPERGLUE!
Ive tested hot glue and it peels off cleanly with nothing but a little alcohol. but i have no way to do that for like 20 foam panels reliably. plus it'd destroy the foam panels to get the hot glue off of them. it doesnt damage the walls but it will damage the foam panels. and theres not really a good way to use hot glue in the first place.

and I cant poke any holes nails or anything. and it would not work for putting up bass traps in the top corners of my room. stuff is in the way. and it'd get knocked over easily and probably hurt my in my sleep. my bed is right against the wall so i cant put something above my bed unless its attached to the wall.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm surprised the hot glue didn't damage the walls. I do know that it will melt the foam. There are different types of hot glue, of course.

It would be nice if you could find that weird gel that's used to hold perfume and cologne samples int magazines. It seems to stick well enough, but then peels right off.

yeah its like some kind of really low-stickyness hot glue or something

maybe some kind of double sided duct tape. or rug/floor tape (theres some kind of double sided rug tape to hold rugs in place on the floor maybe that will work?? its like duct tape but yellow and sticky on both sides. a lot more tacky from what ive seen.

Last edited:
i'd need some reeeeeally long boards and i cant have them in certain spots cause my bed is in the way and theres no room in certain corners and i dont want them falling on me when im sleeping and busting my nose or something
and i want the bass traps in the top 4 corners of my room.

i'd need some reeeeeally long boards and i cant have them in certain spots cause my bed is in the way and theres no room in certain corners and i dont want them falling on me when im sleeping and busting my nose or something
and i want the bass traps in the top 4 corners of my room.

I don't doubt that 3M makes just the right product for your unique circumstances.

The problem here is, no-one that I know, puts foam panels directly on the wall ( in the way that you need to, enabling a "no-damage" removal from fragile paint ).

That leaves only one real choice, and that is for you to trial & error multiple solutions .

I would be looking at gluing velcro strips to the back of the foam and then using sticky-backed velcro on the wall.

Perhaps, test all theories within a closet .

:)

Rather than use the Command strips, which can cause some issues - use the 3M Command hooks. I have never damaged paint by installing and removing the hooks, even years later. I think the smaller piece of adhesive is easier to remove, and works better.

Then just figure out how to hang the foam on the hooks. You could use an upholstery needle to put some thick thread through the foam, forming straps you could then hold up with the hooks. Trial and error will tell you how to make the straps strong enough to not rip out of the foam, and also how many hooks you need per panel. If I can hang heavy winter coats, and things with those hooks though, foam panels should be a cinch.

got some double sided yellow rug tape holy moly this stuff sticks to anything like superglue!
my foam panels are never falling down now! and this time i put three strips the LONG way across the foam panels instead of the short way (big long rectangular foam panels)
and these are stuck on super well not coming off without a fight! and they still peel off without damaging the paint

I don't know who makes it, or where to find it..... but, if I wanted to stick some panel things to a rented wall, I'd want some kind of rubber cement. The kind that would have a COhesive that's just a little greater than its ADhesive quality. You know, where you remove it from a surface but the adhesive is still its own stretchy thing. Ever so slightly tacky still, balling into a giant industrial sized booger as you aim for the trash can on moving day.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.