Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Optimal speaker placement in un-conventional layout
Optimal speaker placement in un-conventional layout
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2019, 02:24 AM   #1
kiwijunglist is offline kiwijunglist
diyAudio Member

Default Optimal speaker placement in un-conventional layout

Hi

Wondering about optimal rear speaker placement for my lounge which I'm redesigning. I will either do 5.1 or 5.1.4 layout. See attached photos. The TV can swing off the wall to be more centered if watching a movie late at night. I was thinking of putting inwall speakers for the fronts with integrated tweeter in the center, the wall cavities are 90mm deep. For the rears depending on placement I will use a similar in wall speaker or I will use something like the kef eggs (which I already have lying around).

Click the image to open in full size.

Q: Should the rear right speaker be blue or yellow (or ceiling directly above).

If I wall mount the RR speaker inside the wall behind me it's a bit of a squeeze under the window, and is slightly below my ear height (and quite close), but I could always just use an egg speaker instead. If I mount to the right of me, then it's easier to have it inside the wall. The other option is to mount on ceiling directly above me.

Q: Should the rear left speaker be orange or green (or ceiling directly above).

For the rear left speaker I can mount on the side quite far away, however delay can be improved by using the room correction on the amp. Otherwise I can mount on the wall directly behind the couch, either inwall or as an egg on a bracket.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Also, I'm undecided about subwoofers, I have 4x 15" drivers that I was gonna do 2x dual opposed sealed boxes in the ceiling, but I'm not sure if I'm still going that route.

Last edited by kiwijunglist; 20th February 2019 at 02:34 AM.

Optimal speaker placement in un-conventional layoutHide this!Advertise here!