DIY Equipment rack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ordered 4 sets of these:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dss4-g-gold-speaker-spike-set-4-pcs--240-718

And two of these today: cswestcoff_1.jpg

Oh and a rivnut gun.

The plan is to hack & stack them with the bottom shelf of the lower one at floor level to make room for some LPs on the bottom and place turntable, amp and Nativ streamer on the top shelf with some cassete deck, CD etc in between.

I've ordered enough spikes to create some separate isolation platforms if required. The shelves aren't as solid as they look in the photo so I might invert them and fill them with sand and seal them up for a bit more. dampening.

Choice between store bought racks seems to go from very cheap and Nasty to stupid money very quickly. I know from speakers stands Iv'e owned and built that sand or lead shot makes a useful difference.

I should get this little lot worked up into something useful made of real wood and steel for a bit more than $1000NZD better than the $1000 - $4000 a shelf I've been quoted.

Any thoughts.

Parts express Spikes have inserts for threading into wood but use M6 threads so it seems like a plan to use M6 rivnuts for the feet into the steel box section.

I found someone on line in NZ that sells 10kg bags of lead shot for $110NZD it would be good to fill the hollow box sections with that. I used to have a pair of AE1 M1 speakers with dedicated stands filled with shot it works well.

See how we go.

I did a search and looks like you can get them via Target in the USA.

West End Coffee Table
SKU CSWESTCOFF
Target Furniture NZ | Modern Designs at Affordable Prices |
Description

The beauty of natural brushed Acacia timber combined with contemporary matt powder coated metal makes for a truly industrial chic collection.

Too low for my needs, don't trust my ability to stack them safely and doubt they are "Acacia timber", most likely a veneer over some cheap MDF.

I can build better for $500, but then I'd have to get off the computer and actually do it. :eek:

Ordered 4 sets of these:

Dayton Audio DSS4-G Gold Speaker Spike Set 4 Pcs.

And two of these today: View attachment 731880

Oh and a rivnut gun.

The plan is to hack & stack them with the bottom shelf of the lower one at floor level to make room for some LPs on the bottom and place turntable, amp and Nativ streamer on the top shelf with some cassete deck, CD etc in between.

I've ordered enough spikes to create some separate isolation platforms if required. The shelves aren't as solid as they look in the photo so I might invert them and fill them with sand and seal them up for a bit more. dampening.

Choice between store bought racks seems to go from very cheap and Nasty to stupid money very quickly. I know from speakers stands Iv'e owned and built that sand or lead shot makes a useful difference.

I should get this little lot worked up into something useful made of real wood and steel for a bit more than $1000NZD better than the $1000 - $4000 a shelf I've been quoted.

Any thoughts.

What is the weight limit on the table?

Thanks

“What is the weight limit on the table?

Thanks“. The steel was strong enough but the tops are hollowed out. I screwed blockboard inside the top shelf to give it more mass and less potential resonance. You can turn each shelf into a torsion box making it very rigid. Because of earth quakes I have the two halves strapped together using heavy duty tie wraps.

“What is the weight limit on the table?

Thanks“. The steel was strong enough but the tops are hollowed out. I screwed blockboard inside the top shelf to give it more mass and less potential resonance. You can turn each shelf into a torsion box making it very rigid. Because of earth quakes I have the two halves strapped together using heavy duty tie wraps.

Thanks Steve!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.