Does your system sound 10K better in the dark?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I do a lot of late night listening usually under somewhat lower light conditions.

The noise in my listening environment is pretty low most of the time, and most particularly in the late evenings.

Power quality also I think plays a role, but in my system that has become an inconsistent factor.

By late evening I have had a few hours to decompress and for thresholds to reset after a long day at work and the car ride home. (I have a fairly quiet MB but it's not silent and the roads around here are terrible.)

I would note that I spend a lot of time listening most weekends and the benefits of quiet and no exposure to loud low frequency noise seems in my case to be a large part of the explanation.

I still listen through headphones late at night after I've gone to bed. Always sounds particularly good.

I'd want to "see" some proof of that. ;) Without sound I feel very cut off from my environment..

I tend to not agree with that. Let's back to the nature. Left alone in the forest, in uknown place during the day. Will you feed yourself and survive without hearing? And without sight? Good aricles about senses importance I've read quite long time ago in literature but I don't remember where...

In the old days of mono TV, the speaker could be placed quite a distance from the screen, but the eye would pull the sound into the middle of the screen!
are you certain of this?
didn't RCA look into this in the early motion picture days? and again in the development of TV?
if the distance is sufficient to introduce timing errors between visual and auditory stimulus the test subjects looked away from the screen toward the sound source, certainly not what they wanted to achieve!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I tend to not agree with that.
You don't agree that I feel cut off from my environment without sound? How would you know? :scratch2:

The ventriloquist effect works amazingly well up to a point. But if the speaker is too far, it's noticeable and can take awhile to adapt. That's the case in my living room. The speakers are 15 feet from the screen and off to the side. It takes awhile to make the connection.

Sensory coherence

If I woke up in the morning with a strange comfortable silence around, I would think it's snowed in the night.
But if opening the window I did not see snow around, I would probably feel in a creepy mood.
I would feel better if I imagined with my eyes closed, snowy hills around me. Or being seated in a concert hall, or in a church, or in a jazz club ...

Originally posted by Pano >
I'd want to "see" some proof of that.
I offer a couple of quotes below - not sure they constitute proof though!

"Humans are sight (visual sense) dominant. Thirty to forty percent of our cerebral cortex is devoted to vision, as compared to 8 percent for touch or just 3 percent for hearing (auditory sense)."

"In some cases, a sense may covertly influence the one we think is dominant. When visual information clashes with that from sound, sensory crosstalk can cause what we see to alter what we hear."

The second quote is from this article:

Making Sense of the World, Several Senses at a Time - Scientific American

You don't agree that I feel cut off from my environment without sound? How would you know? :scratch2:

The ventriloquist effect works amazingly well up to a point. But if the speaker is too far, it's noticeable and can take awhile to adapt. That's the case in my living room. The speakers are 15 feet from the screen and off to the side. It takes awhile to make the connection.

Sorry Pano it wasn't personal of course and resulted from not being precise in executing thoughts in english :) I mean this is not common situation and in majority of cases people's most important sense is eyesight.

Attachments

• TVs of the past.jpg
    TVs of the past.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Even when we go to a concert (it's almost always classical or opera), I listen and close my eyes, (unless it's Anna Netrebko doing the singing of course.)

I still listen through headphones late at night after I've gone to bed. Always sounds particularly good.

I have a Sony PCM recorder and noise cancelling headphones -- listened to Thomas Tallis on the last trans-Atlantic flight when they had dimmed the lights.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.