Kitchen acoustics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While we were cooking Thanksgiving dinner and trying to come up with a Thanksgiving playlist (Mashed Potato, something by The Cranberries...?) it ocurred to me that I spend more time listening to music in the kitchen than anywhere else, and how the usual speaker types and arrangements aren't a good match for the space. I have a pair of HK-20 bookshelf speakers on top of the fridge, and they sound beautiful....when you're standing in just the right spot and facing the speakers.:bullseye:
Unlike a living room, you don't sit in one place In the kitchen. You could be anywhere in the room facing any direction, probably along a wall where the sink, stove, and counters are, sitting or standing. I'd like to set up a system that sounds great throughout the room. Forget imaging/soundstage, I don't think they apply here. I'd be fine with mono as long as I could fill the room with good sound at a volume that's easy to talk over. The space I have to work with is high up. There's about a 1 ft. space up to the ceiling above the cupboards, about 3 ft. above the fridge, and the ceiling itself.
How would you infuse the kitchen with decentralized music? Tricks of speaker placement? A speaker in the middle of the ceiling? Small full range drivers in the crown molding? Build something above the cabinets?:cubist:
I'm a EE with plenty of DIY home improvement experience, so I'd be up for building something if I knew what to build.:smash::wrench::mallet:

Attachments

• kitchenLayout.png
    kitchenLayout.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 106
this is where a 70v distributed loudspeaker system in the ceiling would be "the next best thing to sliced bread"(sorry for the kitchen themed pun)
the newer models of commercial in ceiling speakers for paging and background music are pretty good so it may be worth looking at.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.