Dealing with a window

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The only spare room in my house that I can use for recording has a large window. In fact, 1/2 the entire wall is just a window.

How do I deal with this?

I've acoustically treated the walls but the window just messes up the acoustics of the entire room.

I can't do anything permanent to it - I still like the light coming in and the wife wouldn't be happy if I closed it up completely. I'm also renting so any permanent solution is difficult.

I've tried hanging thick curtains, bedsheets, carpets, even a blanket, but that only helps the acoustics marginally.

This is really messing up my room's acoustics, especially since I record here too.

Any suggestions?

In-room acoustic measurements will help to isolate the problem frequency bands. I recommend REW--which is freely available--and a calibrated microphone. I'd start at the microphone position that you use for recording. You haven't described any loudspeakers or sound reinforcement/amplified sound sources, so guessing on this side of your problem domain is usually not very accurate or productive. Provide a little more information and/or a picture, and you might get much better suggestions.

If heavy curtains don't do much as you report, then I'd guess that you have lower frequency decay time (T20, T30, EDT, etc.) issues in a frequency band where the curtains are not effective. Heavy curtains are typically effective at frequencies above 300-500 Hz.

Waterfall plots of the room will also help to isolate any resonant frequencies. Knowing what those are usually helps to zero in on the alternatives available to you. No data at all is not a good place to be.

Chris

Agree with Cask05 - Measurements will point the way.

You could build a Gobo - Something on wheels similar to Gik like here.

The window shouldn't be messing up the acoustics that much. Think about it, professional recording studios have windows in them. Almost every single one has a massive window. I'm guessing there is something else going on. Can you sketch out the room and locations? What are you recording? Where are speakers placed? Where is mic placed? Etc.

control booth to studio windows are usually multiple panes of glass or lexan set at angles to each other (i.e. not parallel) to prevent them behaving like a "drum head" and transmit sound through.the pane on the studio side is also angled to prevent a direct reflection.

baffles made to the window size and mounted into a sub frame which could be hinged or removable and curtains would conceal them.

on the cheap if you can find office dividers those ubiquitous fabric dividers you see in large office settings they may work and can also double as dividers to isolate a loud amp from other sources your trying to record!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.