Bass problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. My wall is made of concrete. There is no deep sound where you sit, but if you walk in the room you may be deaf from elsewhere. What can I do?

The first thing to do is check that your speakers are properly in phase with each other.

To get proper bass, both woofer cones need to move out at the same time, in at the same time. If one is reversed, you get cancellation that will be worst at your sweet spot. In other parts of the room, the relative loudness and phasing of the speakers is less of an issue since you aren't hearing them both equally.

With concrete walls problems with room modes get worse and harder to treat as the bass will be contained inside the room. -Showing deep nulls and high peaks depending on where you are in the room and the frequency in question. With light weight walls, the bass tend to go through the walls and irritate neighbours instead.

In general: If your seating position is close to the middle of the room, the lowest room mode will be at a null ("impossible" to hear) while your second lowest room mode will show a peak and be excessive. Solution: Move your seating position or move the speakers, or both for a best compromise and a more even bass range.

Meanwhile, I found an interesting article about acoustic measurements. What do you think about it?

Frankly, I am always suspicious of "scientific" articles written by someone with something to sell. It is very hard to know if you are reading a genuine examination or a sales pitch. There is a lot --a whole lot-- of money in acoustic treatments. Even a small room can run up a $10,000 bill very quickly, so the profit motive does tend to get in the way.

In my experience you can often achieve similar if not better results by strategically placing furniture, artwork, drapes and even plants.

Have a look at this recent thread ... Troublesome Wall Echo While I don't like the way that ended up, it is often the way things go without getting ridiculously expensive.

Last edited:
Hi I tried something this afternoon. that may be helpful. I had a problem with a suck out from 100 to 250 and had some left over Roxul comfort board that I used to line some marken trap speakers last year. I put the 4'x2' panels in the corners behind the speakers and it did help the 100 -250 It is a single panel 1" thick so I think it would be possible to dial in the frequency with thickness, size and placement. the stuff is pretty cheap and seems to work pretty well, fire resistant too. The left side improved the most not sure if the right side is actually an improvement. Home depot sells it in Canada . this is a small room with fairly large speakers (nextel Thors) 12.4 ft x 14.5 ft. measurements are at the listening position

Attachments

• Screenshot (114).png
    Screenshot (114).png
    496.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Screenshot (115).png
    Screenshot (115).png
    497.7 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
In my last house my Dedicated listening room was rather small and no matter how many bass traps and diffuser / absorbers I just could not make the bass sound good. My new house I am using the living room with twice the space and while still not right sounded much better. On a lark I purchased the mini dsp with Dirac, the first eye opener was just getting good measurements my bass had 2 peaks that needed to be corrected. The rest of the correction I do like however it is hard to be objective about it as you really don’t know all the changes the dirac makes. In the end I can say I subjectively like it and in the end that is all that really matters .
Bill

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
It is impractical to try to absorb bass room modes in the conventional way. It can work but it takes very large absorbers.

The best way would have to be one that achieves what multi-subs achieves. This is a spatial fix.
as you really don’t know all the changes the dirac makes.
So you equalised. Dirac does more than this though. I think the goal would be to eventually find the way to eliminate the need for dirac.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.