Acoustic ?uestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it possible to tell any useful characteristics of a rooms acoustics by simply taking a frequency spectrum of the room's noise level?

If the highest level, of any of the frequencies, is shown at -82.5 dB, is that a solid indication of the noise level?

Would an acoustically-good room have a fairly flat (horizontal) level, or is there always a hump in the bass frequencies?

I'm just getting a handle on some of this learning curve.

Taking a measurement of the room's noise floor won't tell you too much. It simply tells you how loud the background noise is. Usually there will always be a rise towards bass energy. It's just so much harder to dissipate, whether you're trying to prevent it entering/leaving the room, or handling it in the room.

Side note: -82.5dB is really good for a noise floor. That means either your measuring setup is wrong, or the room was built to be acoustically separated from it's surroundings. The average domestic room noise floor is -30 to -50 dB that I've seen.

Ya', nope!

No doubt I probably didn't take the measurements correctly.

I set my mic level to where I get my desired waveform level in my DAW when I voice (speaking, not singing)(about -2.2 from o, peak). Then I recorded silence. The most prevalent frequency was at about 60 Hz, at the aforementioned -82.5 dB. I believe most of my room noise comes from my PC tower, about 9 feet away, through a lot of noise proofing, ....and also from general deep bass 'house' noise (which I roll off in post).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.