Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Horrible 110 Hz problem in my living room
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2018, 10:12 PM   #1
andreaemme is offline andreaemme  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Horrible 110 Hz problem in my living room

Hello! I'd want to share with you a problem that is going to make me become mad.. I've bought a pair of Indiana Line Tesi 561 like these, wonderful loudspeakers, but in my actual configuration:

my living room.png

listening jazz, I hear a terrible and troublesome resonance in the upper bass region. I've made some measurements with a common phonometer and I've found that there's a very narrow peak centered aorund 110 Hz. Otherwise, around 90 Hz there's another narrow negative peak, so between 90 and 110 Hz there's about 20 dB of difference, more testing right loudspeaker than the left one.
The strange thing is that I've never heard this with my previous DIY loudpspeaker in the same position, all with a unique 8'' driver. Supposing an internal resonance of loudspeaer, I've tried to fill cabinets with polyestere but only stuffing entire cab problem is quite solved, while bass disappears..
110 Hz peak is centered only in my listening position, walking around there's no problem, but I can't change disposal of my living..
What can I do in your opinion to correct this?
Thank you very much.
Old 8th November 2018, 10:27 PM   #2
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Hello. I'm afraid your listening position couldn't be much worse, I almost guarantee the problem is the wall directly behind you, there are always peaks close to walls
Old 8th November 2018, 10:32 PM   #3
Windforce85 is offline Windforce85  Poland
diyAudio Member

You're sitting at the rigid wall inside of rectangular room and your new toys finally reproduce 110Hz efficiently. It is perfectly normal. In order to prevent such problem say sorry to your current room arrangement and try this (attachment).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my living room.jpg (115.4 KB, 103 views)
Old 8th November 2018, 10:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

..nooooo...what a despair..! Thank you very much, but really there's nothing I can do to prevent this? As installing some panel behind sofa..? I haven't said that upon my head when I seat ther's a pensile that breaks wall surface, but not large as sofa so around it there's open and flat surface..
Can covering nearest part of wall with planar bass traps solve in your opinion?
And why 90 Hz causes a counter effect than 110 Hz..?
Old 8th November 2018, 11:02 PM   #5
Windforce85 is offline Windforce85  Poland
diyAudio Member

You can install whatever you want and throw your money away heading for weak or no effect becouse of inherent trouble of taming 3-meter wave. Changing listening triangle position is as usual the cheapest and most efficient way of improving listening experience. Strong interefences of incoming wavefronts from perpendicular walls in this particular sofa place are causing 110-90 Hz jump. Move away the sofa first and loudspeaker next from its current positions.

Last edited by Windforce85; 8th November 2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 8th November 2018, 11:06 PM   #6
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

You could try cutting the peak but don't try to boost the null, or if you do, and it works, only a little, say 6dB max
Old 9th November 2018, 12:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much for your precious and life-saving suggestions! I'll have to fight hard with my wife.. However, one change is really possible, inverting sofa and loudspeaker/tv position, so no wall will be behind me and speakers will be near wall, what do you think about this?

However, I use Fobar2000 with wasapi usb driver and a Audiolab M-DAC, do you know any good software parametric equalizer I can use to try taming the actual 3 meters wave cutting 110 Hz peak?
Old 10th November 2018, 04:50 AM   #8
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

Ideally, neither the seat nor the speakers ahould be close to a walk (some speakers designed for against the wall excepted). Even 400mm will help.

Horrible 110 Hz problem in my living roomHide this!Advertise here!