Horrible 110 Hz problem in my living room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello! I'd want to share with you a problem that is going to make me become mad.. I've bought a pair of Indiana Line Tesi 561 like these, wonderful loudspeakers, but in my actual configuration:

my living room.png

listening jazz, I hear a terrible and troublesome resonance in the upper bass region. I've made some measurements with a common phonometer and I've found that there's a very narrow peak centered aorund 110 Hz. Otherwise, around 90 Hz there's another narrow negative peak, so between 90 and 110 Hz there's about 20 dB of difference, more testing right loudspeaker than the left one.
The strange thing is that I've never heard this with my previous DIY loudpspeaker in the same position, all with a unique 8'' driver. Supposing an internal resonance of loudspeaer, I've tried to fill cabinets with polyestere but only stuffing entire cab problem is quite solved, while bass disappears..
110 Hz peak is centered only in my listening position, walking around there's no problem, but I can't change disposal of my living..
What can I do in your opinion to correct this?
Thank you very much.

You're sitting at the rigid wall inside of rectangular room and your new toys finally reproduce 110Hz efficiently. It is perfectly normal. In order to prevent such problem say sorry to your current room arrangement and try this (attachment).

Attachments

• my living room.jpg
    my living room.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 319
..nooooo...what a despair..! Thank you very much, but really there's nothing I can do to prevent this? As installing some panel behind sofa..? I haven't said that upon my head when I seat ther's a pensile that breaks wall surface, but not large as sofa so around it there's open and flat surface..
Can covering nearest part of wall with planar bass traps solve in your opinion?
And why 90 Hz causes a counter effect than 110 Hz..?

You can install whatever you want and throw your money away heading for weak or no effect becouse of inherent trouble of taming 3-meter wave. Changing listening triangle position is as usual the cheapest and most efficient way of improving listening experience. Strong interefences of incoming wavefronts from perpendicular walls in this particular sofa place are causing 110-90 Hz jump. Move away the sofa first and loudspeaker next from its current positions.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your precious and life-saving suggestions! I'll have to fight hard with my wife.. However, one change is really possible, inverting sofa and loudspeaker/tv position, so no wall will be behind me and speakers will be near wall, what do you think about this?

However, I use Fobar2000 with wasapi usb driver and a Audiolab M-DAC, do you know any good software parametric equalizer I can use to try taming the actual 3 meters wave cutting 110 Hz peak?

Thank you very much!
I've tried some alternative way in these days, including a trial of a Digital Room Correction, but the best is to move forward sofa of about 50-70 cm every listening session, going off the wall behind, so I obtain a big improvement about 110 hz problem. Now being lowest bass a bit weak due to the wall center position of a loudspeaker that should be near a wall, I ask you what real benefit I should obtain moving their reflex vent (actually mounted on the front panel at about 50 cm distance from floor, tuned at about 40 Hz) on the bottom panel, raising cabinet from floor of about 3-4 cm and obtaining a down-firing vent. What can I expect from this solution in terms of improvement for the extremely low bass region?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Oh, I couldn't easily change source location because it's my (and my wife's and son's..) living room and I wouldn't use subs, just a cheap and easy diy way to improve sound performance of my little system.
What do you think about down-firing reflex vents respect classic front-firing solutions? Could it reinforce low bass output?

Ok excuse me.. but from this point of view, since my "quite solved" 110 Hz problem came from woofer position and I won't change it so my problem will remain "quite solved", what will I expect for the lowest region of bass making this change to port position? My loudpseakers aren't diy and before to cut a hole in the bottom panel I would like to be a bit sure of the result.

No..we can consider 110 Hz problem as solved thanks to this thread. In effect I began a new thread in the thread asking if moving reflex port on the bottom of the cabinet near the floor from the front position (50 cm far from the floor) can reinforce very low bass response as I desire.
My loudspeakers are made to stay near a wall and instead are constrained to stay about in the center of the room, for this actually very low bass response is quite weak and I'm looking for a simple solution for this second problem. Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.