Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Easier Alternatives to Hanging Panels for Ceiling Treatment?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2018, 02:10 PM   #1
mark3141 is offline mark3141  United States
Still learning...
diyAudio Member

Default Easier Alternatives to Hanging Panels for Ceiling Treatment?

Since I'm generally pretty bad with most DIY home maintenance, I worry about placing acoustic panels on my ceiling. I am especially bad about working with anything over my head so I can see myself having to do this several times before I get the positioning correct.

Are there clever alternatives I can use if I'm not too worried about aesthetics? I would prefer any solution that looks nice, of course, but I would be willing to sacrifice some looks for simplicity. Alternatively, if I do have to hang panels, how could I go about finding the lightest possible panel that can get the job done without a lot of trial and error?
Old 11th October 2018, 02:57 PM   #2
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

Large canvas paintings or prints on the wall with fiberglass behind, curtains even without a window.
Old 12th October 2018, 01:46 AM   #3
Still learning...
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Simon. I like the curtains idea - sounds easy and since they're large, it doesn't require much precision.
Old 12th October 2018, 12:49 PM   #4
krivium is offline krivium  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,

Hangers can be very effective but i fear that your ceiling will be to low for the use i've seen of them. And there is different kind of hangers and strategy with them. For example you'll see some used in very large resonnant space to tame the rt time and a bit the 100hz range (big swimmingpools, some halls) they are usually commercial made panels spaced 1 or 2 meter away between them and located sparsely on the ceiling.

In studios i've seen an other kind used: they are made of porous fiber material (from the one i've seen, rockwool 120cmx 60cm x 10cm depth) glued to soft cardboard (in france this is called isorel) and densely packed (one each 30cm approximately) on the whole ceiling (behind a streched fabric 'false ceiling'), sometime on side walls too (here again hidden behind stretched fabric or other acoustical treatments) and sometimes on back wall (relative to listening position, facing the speakers). For the side or back wall they can be either vertically or horizontally oriented and most of the time angled - kind of sawtooth shape). The idea behind that strategy is to tame the whole low end modes as the lower ones tends to have most pressure around the room's boundary.

As a bonus they act as broadband absorbers. This is quite effective as i you move one on one side of the room you'll see the chain reaction for the whole row until it stop moving. That said it was in room with ceiling height of 4/4,5m and total surface of more than 50 square meter (6x8 meters). Difficult to implement in a non dedicated (big) space!

So about the hanger you plan to use what do you expect them to perform? Other strategy could be used in place of them.

Last edited by krivium; 12th October 2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12th October 2018, 01:25 PM   #5
Still learning...
diyAudio Member

Hi krivium,

I am simply wanting to tame the reflection from the ceiling. My initial plan was to hang DIY panels in the same manner I did for the horizontal walls. Since it's harder to ensure you mount them in the correct spot on the ceiling than the other walls, I was hoping for something that generates the same effect but easier to implement.
Old 12th October 2018, 01:54 PM   #6
krivium is offline krivium  France
diyAudio Member

Ok, take a look at your other thread. But i'll give you my point of view about it anyway here: absorbtion may help but diffusion is more likely to be effective ime. A mix of both wiil be even better.

Why not only absorption: being the smaller dimension in the room, ceiling height absorption won't help as much as sound have a lower distance to travel from speakers to the absorption on ceiling than with side wall ( each time you double distance traveled by sound you loose 6db, from 1meter to 2meter to 4meter,etc,etc,etc,...).

Absortion is effective but don't expect more than 6db by the material itself ( sometimes it could be bigger but don't expect...). Most of the absorption is from the distance traveled by reflection, absorption material is just another layer which help ( this is how i see things).

In the case of ceiling you'll have more chance if you break specular reflection and spread them all around with different phase relationship and level. Exactly what a diffiusor do. If you surround them ( you'll need some of them located with a strategy in mind) by absorbent ceiling tiles ( as i already given link) you could really lower the level and issue of it. Frequency of interest is relatively high too ( don't expect results below 1khz) so diffuser should be relatively thin (10cm for 1khz) and rockwool/rockfon ceiling tiles ( or equivalent) effective for this kind of frequency range.
Old 13th October 2018, 12:48 PM   #7
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

although not diy these guys give you the option to have custom fabric prints for decor Fabric Wrapped Acoustic Panels | Forward Acoustics Inc.

then there's the Armstrong line of tectum TECTUM Ceiling Lines | Armstrong Ceiling Solutions – Commercial

both are good at mid to high frequencies.
Old 13th October 2018, 01:17 PM   #8
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

more to the point of being able to re-position panels i've used this Removable Adhesive Strips - "No More Nails" | RONA
Old 13th October 2018, 02:35 PM   #9
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Question: it has long been held that tucking away absorbent 'most anywhere in the room is additively beneficial*. Like under your sofa and behind your desk. I suppose that is true of a lengthy stat like RT60. But is near-wall or near-ceiling bounce, as OP is interested in, a different matter?

Or if you are a comb-filter skeptic?

B.
*and that's what I was told when I studied highway noise inside neighbouring houses in 1974

Last edited by bentoronto; 13th October 2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 13th October 2018, 02:41 PM   #10
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
more to the point of being able to re-position panels i've used this...
Yes, another suggestion.

But the ultimate core question (for OP and others) is, "Do you own the ceiling?" Or can you do as you please provided you can fix it later? Or if a renter, what does your lease say?

If you own the ceiling there are lots of reliable fastenings but some of them make big holes when you remove the panels. Some good fixings leave holes, but just little ones that are easily patched but your landlord has to be ready to paint for the next tenant. Some stick-up or glue solutions ruin the ceiling for re-painting unless specially pre-treated before painting.

And so on.

B.

Last edited by bentoronto; 13th October 2018 at 02:46 PM.

Easier Alternatives to Hanging Panels for Ceiling Treatment?Hide this!Advertise here!