Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Easier Alternatives to Hanging Panels for Ceiling Treatment?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2018, 02:22 PM   #11
mark3141 is offline mark3141  United States
Still learning...
diyAudio Member

turk, how much weight can those strips hold? I like the idea, but I'm worried they may not support panels. I also like the ceiling tiles. If nothing else, I can pick them up at a home improvement store and throw up a few just to see how it goes while I look into diffusion for the ceiling.

ben, I do own the home and don't plan on moving anytime soon so no worries there. I'm looking to treat the first reflection points and not just throw up absorption which is the difficulty for me; I need to have it cover a certain area to be any good.
Old 13th October 2018, 02:35 PM   #12
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3141 View Post
I do own the home and don't plan on moving anytime soon so no worries there. I'm looking to treat the first reflection points and not just throw up absorption which is the difficulty for me; I need to have it cover a certain area to be any good.
Take care using sticky-stuff, may leave unpaintable residue.

Isn't ceiling a bit remote in terms of reflections and timing and directionality of your speakers?

I've been dipole so long, hard for me to relate to the widely feared comb filter problem... except generally skeptical based on some grasp of human hearing.

When you do a comb filter treatment you are also doing an RT60 treatment. So who can distinguish one from the other? I've seen many textbook pictures of the horrors of comb filtering, but can't remember any acoustic measurements in a home.

B.
Old 13th October 2018, 03:13 PM   #13
turk 182 is online now turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

they will hold a fair bit but i don't recommend them long term for horizontal hold (it does better with stuff on vertical hold) just as a short term solution to help find the"right location or amount"

i've only ever seen a problem with this stuff on unpainted drywall or primer coat, leaves oily residue that yes can be a problem at the re-paint stage but nothing that this stuff can't fix https://www.homehardware.ca/en/37l-1...aler/p/1850946

Last edited by turk 182; 13th October 2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 13th October 2018, 03:41 PM   #14
turk 182 is online now turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

the other product you may be interested in is Auralex.
Old 16th October 2018, 01:54 AM   #15
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

An alternative to sticky strips:

In a rented apartment, I glued some neo magnets to the ceiling (painted white to match the ceiling).

I made some small treatment panels, by laminating several layers of cardboard together (corrugated cardboard from packing boxes). I drove a coarse screw into each cardboard 'brick', so it could be attached to a magnet.

When I moved out, it was easy to detach the panels, leaving behind just the (nearly invisible) magnets.
Old 16th October 2018, 06:36 PM   #16
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

^ Cool idea!
Old 16th October 2018, 06:52 PM   #17
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

hollowboy, how did you make the cardboard panels? I've heard several layers of cardboard stuck together with green glue can make very dead baffles.
Old 16th October 2018, 10:43 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
how did you make the cardboard panels?
No rocket science: I just painted a sheet with PVA glue, placed the next sheet on top and stacked on some weight. Wallpaper glue would probably work well, and be very good value for money - a small packet of powder makes a large volume of glue.

Quote:
I've heard several layers of cardboard stuck together with green glue can make very dead baffles.
I dunno if GG would be money well spent - its job is to add flexibility to rigid materials. From the FAQ:
"used between two rigid layers of material, typically drywall [...] Green Glue Noiseproofing Sealant is a polymer that is designed to remain flexible over time"

...but the idea of using cardboard seems legit: cardboard furniture can take heavy loads when designed well / laminated into blocks.

If I were to do it, my approach would be to arrange corrugated cardboard so that the air voids were in communication with the rear of the speaker. That way, I could build a 'box' that was about 80% wall, since the wall wouldn't detract (much) from internal volume.

That is: I'd make something like the pictured wine rack, and then put a relatively thin skin (paper mache, decoupage, fibreglass, sheet metal, whatever) onto it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cardboard-wine-bottle-rack.jpg (143.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 16th October 2018, 10:58 PM   #19
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Thanks, with your panels are the voids perpendicular to the ceiling?
Old 17th October 2018, 02:31 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks, with your panels are the voids perpendicular to the ceiling?
I only did a few as proof of concept & to see how large a tile I could hang from each magnet. Therefore I can't be sure which orientation = most effective.

At a guess, hanging strips or a lattice from the ceiling (imagine combining the attached pictures) would give a good return on materials & time, and not weigh very much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Home-Theater-With-Acoustic-e1424588201556.jpg (47.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg cardboard table.jpg (88.3 KB, 16 views)

Easier Alternatives to Hanging Panels for Ceiling Treatment?Hide this!Advertise here!