List of materials of interest.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
This thread is to have a list of materials of interest in acoustical treatments or insulation/soundproofing.

As we don't all live in the same place and brands and material types are not availlable everywhere it'll help to find equivalent or make search faster for someone interested in doing some treatments.

Keep in mind that effectiveness will depend of material but it's intented use too, so you can't just pick some reference and here you go, you'll need to understand principle of what you intend to do and how to implement it.

For example if you need soundproofing a room some materials will be effective if used as parts of an overall strategy. You can't just buy the stuff put it in an arbitrary manner and expect good results.

As some materials aren't cheap this must be understood or you'll face frustrating experience and waste of money.

The same is true for acoustical treatments.
I suggest the intented application(s) of material(s) to be clearly stated when added to the list and if in doubt about the use of a particular reference for your needs to start a dedicated thread in order to keep the list dedicated to a list of reference ( it'll help to maintain it clear and do search).

Joined 2009
Paid Member
MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl).
Also known as 'sound barrier' or other fancy name it is usually used as part of a CLD ( Constrained Layer Damping) or as a damping layer in soundproofing/insulation.
It can find a way in acoustic treatment too when used as the membrane material in Limp Membrane absorbers (Bass Traps).
I won't specified a dedicated brand or reference as there is a vast offer of it and prices vary... The one usually used as a mass in the 4/5kg/m2.
You may find heavier's one too.
It belong to the visco elastic mass material family.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Anti-vibration mounts, vibration dampers.
Here again no particular references as there is a huge offer and the choice will vary with the intented use.
Usefull for ceiling and floor decoupling in soundproofing as part of a 'box in a box' strategy (floating the listening room from the structural build). It can be tricky to select the one you need: effectiveness will depend of weight applied as it is based on a spring/mass principle. That said it is very effective when correctly implemented.

Can be used as an acoustical treatment too: to help decoupling a loudspeaker from the room. Here again you can't just take one arbitrarly locate it under your speaker and expect good results: you'll have to do some math to adapt it to your situation.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for starting this thread. I began a little spreadsheet with costs per square foot of commonly available treatments in the US market. It's just a start, I'll add what I can find, along with notes and update it. There are a couple of diffusors on the second page.

Attachments

• Treatment Materials2.zip
    3 KB · Views: 41
Pano, please add Owens Corning 703, which is probably the most popular absorption material for professional in US. The problem is OC 703 requires acoustic cloth or such for surface treatment, so direct cost comparison is somewhat hard, and I don't think they are sold at neither Lowes nor Home Depot.

And, 2" absorption material is usually more harm than good, as far as I know...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, I'll see what I can find for prices. When I built my panels I gave up on Corning 703 because I couoldn't buy it in less than a pallet load. Ultra Touch Cotton has some of the same purchase problems. You have to buy $600-750 worth. :xeye:

2" fiberglass is super common, and can be used in 2 layers, that's why I've included it. But the 5.5 inch is probably a better choice and not hard to find.

I'd like to include Tectum panels which are so common in schools for sound treatment, but I never see them used in playback rooms.

Anti-vibration mounts, vibration dampers.
Here again no particular references as there is a huge offer and the choice will vary with the intented use.
Usefull for ceiling and floor decoupling in soundproofing as part of a 'box in a box' strategy (floating the listening room from the structural build). It can be tricky to select the one you need: effectiveness will depend of weight applied as it is based on a spring/mass principle. That said it is very effective when correctly implemented.

Can be used as an acoustical treatment too: to help decoupling a loudspeaker from the room. Here again you can't just take one arbitrarly locate it under your speaker and expect good results: you'll have to do some math to adapt it to your situation.

Enclosed pdf is pretty good and informative on vibration dampers. In case you wish to isolate speakers from transmitting their mechanical vibrations from where they stand in the room and avoid rattling noises, it is important to load the rubber feet correctly. Too little load can be as bad (or worse!) as too much load making the isolator utterly useless. If say you wish to completely isolate a sub that goes down to 20 Hz, the feet should be loaded so they reach a resonance of their own as low as possible but not higher than 20 / root (2) = 14 Hz. If the speaker is good down to 35 Hz, aim for lower resoanance than 35 / root (2) = 25 Hz

These vibrations dampers are for industrial use and not any audiofool's versions, so very cheap to buy in comparison. A good thing, -they work as intended, just follow the instructions in the beginning. (Low weight subs are harder to isolate and you may have to turn to cellular polyurethane pads like Sylomer instead = a bit more expensive and harder to find.)

Attachments

• Elesa rubber dampers DVA-EN.pdf
    327.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Any disagree that absorbing bass in a room is one of the hardest problems. I've used Tectum.

It looks like shredded wheat cereal but is made from wood fibres in a rather open surface but it comes quite solid boards. You can install it replacing drywall with the biggest possible cavity behind, such as 2x6 studs if you have the space, and you can stuff fibreglass behind for added effect. Not much more expensive than drywall (AKA ordinary gypsum boards) so you can cover large walls. Naturally, makes a poor barrier but a good absorbent.

I like the looks, not too techie. Can be painted with no loss of effectiveness.

If this forum were in loudspeakers it would sure have more posts.

B.

Last edited:
Acoustic ceiling tiles, like for hung ceilings in offices, is mostly junk, esp ceiotex (wood bits and starch). But cheap. But you can think of this stuff as basic inexpensive working materials. For example, you can buy semi-rigid fibreglass ceiling tiles and use as a stack. Makes hardly any difference if you peel off the plastic face or not except at high frequencies.

Real acoustic fiberglass rigid boards do work well but cost much more. Easy to drape some synthetic fabric over these boards and mount on walls to the side of your speakers to kill that ill-timed first reflection.

... or just build ESL dipoles and not worry so much about room acoustics.

B.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
Ben this is this material you talk about in post 10?
Panneau de grandes particules orientees — Wikipedia

(If possible post a link to the material in question as names vary between place. In France this material is called OSB for example).
From your description it seems you used it as some kind of membrane absorber/bass trap strategy. I've already seen it used in place of plasterboard (in acoustic treatment)..

Last edited:
For guys in the north-east U.S...tri-state area....

Owens corning 703-

"Tri-city insulation" in Linden, NJ. You do not have to buy an entire pallet but a whole bundle= 12 sheets for 2" thick x2'x4'. I imagine 1' thick would be 24 sheets and 4" would be six sheets....

"Ultra Touch"-

"Marjam Supply Co" several stores in NJ and NY... Again, you do not have to buy several pallets or bundles....only one.

I used the Kearny, NJ store.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Ben, i did (googled) but results wasn't the material you linked. Ok now i see what you are talking about. Thank you. Yes 'hangers' in general have usefull properties relative to low end behavior. This is used extensively by Tom Hidley within his own designs. Material is different though. He use Rockwool ( for the studio i've seen in France) and cover the whole ceiling and walls with them ( except the front which was reflective in the room i've seen). Litteraly truck load of hangers!

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the Tectum link, Ben. It looks effective in the midrange, right were sheetrock (gypsum board) walls tend to ping. Not so great in the bass, unless mounted with absolution behind it. It does have the advantage of being easy to use and install.
It's a classic.

Yes 'hangers' in general have useful properties....
Hung ceilings are excellent acoustic tools.

But since few of us have enough ceiling height (or spouse approval) for a hung ceiling, I was mentioning those panels just as cheap raw material, since materials from acoustic suppliers tends to be very expensive. (See my new thread on the value of air.)(And see my new post on HVAC.)

B.

Another source for inexpensive materials is HVAC suppliers (heating, ventilation...). When re-builindg a house a few years ago, I became acquainted with the many needs for quiet and the panels, tubes, mineral wools, and other materials HVAC designers use. Many materials are good against fires and accumulation of dirt.

B.

Bass tramp

I tried four closet-hanging cloth shelving.....stuffed to capacity with used towels of various weaves and thicknesses. I hung them about 8" from the wall surface, in the corners of the room. My results have been very satisfying.

Attachments

• 31364-canvas-shoe-rack.jpg
    31364-canvas-shoe-rack.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 97
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.