This sub-forum belongs under "Loudspeakers"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bertrand Russell asked, "If a barber is someone who shaves others, who shaves the barber?" So where is the place to post a question about where room acoustics should be placed?

My "home" forum is Loudspeakers (and three of the four sub-forums there) which encompasses just about all the mechanical construction side of DIY audio. Likewise, since nearly all our speakers end up in rooms, issues of room acoustics and speaker measurement are always near the surface. So when motivated, I pop over to Loudspeakers and choose a sub-forum.

I think many (including me) who encouraged the creation of this sub-forum did so believing it truly deserved emphasis today and not be hidden away. Seems to me, room acoustics really should be among the four under Loudspeakers, not as some orphaned child in a generic location in General.

Yes, I am very happy to see this sub-forum come to life and thanks to the moderator(s) who helped.

Thanks.
B.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Because people with amps and turntables don't like good room acoustics?

I don't care too much WHERE it is, I'm just happy we finally got it. When we move to new forum software and tagging, it won't matter as much anyway.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That's a rather parochial view of things Ben. You freely say... and I quote:

My web browser links to Loudspeakers and I then choose which subforum to browse in.

The first thing I would say to that is what have loudspeakers got to do with anything. The heading is Room Acoustics and Mods which covers décor, floor coverings, room dimensions and a host of other stuff. Speakers are only one part of it.

Because people with amps and turntables don't like good room acoustics?

I don't care too much WHERE it is, I'm just happy we finally got it. When we move to new forum software and tagging, it won't matter as much anyway.

Amen. The rest of these details are mere squabbling in the grand scheme of things. Happy to have this subforum.

*Hopefully it can get added to the opening/home page, as one has to click on the "General Interest" category to see it's existence.

The first thing I would say to that is what have loudspeakers got to do with anything. The heading is Room Acoustics and Mods which covers décor, floor coverings, room dimensions and a host of other stuff. Speakers are only one part of it.

Without loudspeakers, would there have been any interest to have this subforum? Unless it's meant to debate redecorating I'd say loudspeakers have everything to do with it. :)

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes without an amplifier the speakers wont make any sound so perhaps amplification should be a sub forum of speakers??

edit: Note that a lot of members of this forum DO NOT make their own speakers. They do make amplifiers, preamps, and other electronics though. They buy commercial speakers. If they end up in this forum it is because they are interested in how they can improve the overall sound of there system through acoustics. Yes their speakers are the final thing in the chain before the room, but that doesn't mean that they are the only thing :)

Tony.

Last edited:
some may come here for information on how to reduce there annoying audiophile neighbors loudspeakers from intruding into their space... so it may be better where it is rather then be a sub forum of "loudspeakers".
to me there's more to acoustics than just tailoring for speakers, i for one do a lot of recording and place a high value on good acoustic spaces.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.