diy Diffusors

Hecka meta

"metadiffusers whose thickness are 1/46 to 1/20 times the design wavelength, i.e., between about a twentieth and a tenth of the thickness of traditional designs. Finally, a broadband metadiffuser panel of 3 cm thick was designed using optimization methods for frequencies ranging from 250 Hz to 2 kHz."

Metadiffusers: Deep-subwavelength sound diffusers

I saw this a few years ago and was expecting to eventually see some products on the market with this technology. I haven't heard of any products yet or seen any DIY projects on this.

I was glad to see someone bringing it up here.

Reactions: 1 user
I saw this a few years ago and was expecting to eventually see some products on the market with this technology. I haven't heard of any products yet or seen any DIY projects on this.

I was glad to see someone bringing it up here.
Bumping a dead thread.
Does anyone know how to design these things?
I have been googling for a parametric description of how they come up with the dimensions. All I've seen is they run a cost-minimizing efficiency function and it spits out the values.

To be honest I haven't done such a calculation in a long time, possibly not ever, I'm referring back to my economics degree, which has nothing to do with this...
If there was a calculator for these things, it would be pretty easy to design and 3D print them. You could probably fit a square meter of panels (in pieces) on a single build plate on a consumer-grade 3D printer. $30 worth of material at most. Sand & paint the sides for WAF and bob's your uncle.

But like Rock Ball, haven't seen any implementations outside these papers.

Anyone feel math-y enough to give guidance on designing these?

I'm really curious as to whether they could be made to work in the low bass region like 60hz and up... even if they have to be 10-15cm deep, that's a huge improvement on the standard options that exist today.

Reactions: 1 user