Let's get our rooms sounding better

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I agree. Improving room acoustics will be about a design and something built. (And if a bought ready made device, chosing the right design / type to avoid something which is useless for its intended purpose. -Many resistive absorbers advertised as "bass traps" are next to useless under about 250-400 Hz.)

The best way i found to do diy acoustic treatment is to use diffusers on the first reflection points and use basstraps in the 4 corners. Diffusers is explained already. For cheap basstraps you need to make triangles of rockwhool like explained here on a studio engineer site: DIY Corner Bass Traps: Work In Progress - Gearslutz Pro Audio Community

I used this for a few home and low budget studio's that i helped build in the past, with very good results. Better than a lot of commercial products. The only things you need is the right rockwhool, some timber (to make the frame and supports) and a cover (frabric that is closed enough to keep the dust out). It actually works as a broadband absorber, and toghetter with some diffusers on the first reflection spots, it's an effective way to tread a room acousticly on a budget with decent results. If you follow the scheme explained on the site, you're covered till +/- 30Hz.

But if you want it perfect, it's better to call an acoustician (and have a big budget).

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi, not nescessarely ( big budget and acoustician needed). I'm doubtfull of efficacity of Rockwool corners basstraps. Not that you can have good results but 30hz seems a bit optimistic as results only for Rockwool( or you used a looootttt of it). It can be effective used as 'hangers' ( wideband absorbers) but here again you'll need of very big amount. And the corner are not always where to place basstraps for optimum efficiency.

I will post a limp membrane absorber schematic for around 50hz and you'll understand why i'm doubtfull of corner rockwool being efficient at 30hz. I will post a way to check efficiency of treatment below 100hz too but it is time consuming and you'll need to perform twice ( before and after).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.