Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Subwoofer Placement in Large Room (30x50x14)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2018, 05:41 PM   #1
Mitch04 is offline Mitch04  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Subwoofer Placement in Large Room (30x50x14)

I am about to purchase 4 18" subwoofers for my shop stereo. They will be powered by 2 iNuke NU6000DSP amplifiers. My high end consists of 4 Pioneer SP-FS52 Andrew Jones Designed Floor standing Loudspeakers powered by a single iNuke NU4-6000. My question is, hopefully, a simple one.

I read the white paper by Harman, and most of it was over my head... by a lot. However, I am smart enough to understand the conclusion, either put them directly across from each other centered on walls, or in the corners facing each other.

Being that my room is so long, I was curious what everyone thinks would be better

A. Have the subwoofers facing each other with 50 ft between them

B. Have the subwoofers facing each other with 30 ft between them
Old 6th February 2018, 07:29 PM   #2
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I think a more random approach is better Multiple Subwoofer after Geddes
Old 6th February 2018, 09:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

After a quick browse, that looks like a great article and easier to understand! I'll read it fully when I won't be distracted.

In the mean time, if anyone else has information or other links, they'd be greatly appreciated!
Old 7th February 2018, 01:34 PM   #4
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

50 feet, as that is about 2 times the wavelength of the lowest frequency playing. But I would chose the short side of a room instead of the long side to set up your audio. (frontwall reflections)
This is no longer a small room (Geddes), but if you play low volumes it will work and will spread the bass evenly.
At higher volumes I recommend this:
Corners and the back wall are prefered locations to get the least reflections (tight bass). As a first try I would put them all against the back (short) wall, one sub 1 foot from a corner next one 3 feet in between the subs, 3rd one 3 feet/phi (1.61 golden ratio) 1.86 foot from the 2nd sub and 1.86/phi = 1.15 feet in between sub 3 and 4.
As it is best to place drivers within 1/4 of the wavelenght of further then 2x wavelenght of frequencies being played. Then they couple well (play together) or are not playing against each other.
The phi number is the best to use because those distances are not multiples of each other. Often is putting them symetrical left and right the worst thing to do.

Last edited by Think; 7th February 2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:41 PM   #5
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a good plan.
Old 7th February 2018, 02:50 PM   #6
lsiberian is offline lsiberian  United States
diyAudio Member

If you can I suggest trying out both options and comparing the results.
Old 7th February 2018, 04:16 PM   #7
MemX is offline MemX  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you download Room EQ Wizard (REW) there is a room simulator within the software that should enable some potentially-good locations/arrangements to be determined.
Old 7th February 2018, 08:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the help! A lot of it is over my head, I'll have to read it a few times and see if it sinks in. I'm not sure if I'll be able to move the speakers to test them in multiple locations, they will be very large and heavy boxes.

Keep ideas and information coming if you have more! I've got some time before I build everything, hope to have it designed perfectly.
Old 7th February 2018, 08:16 PM   #9
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Double Bass Array
Old 7th February 2018, 08:43 PM   #10
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Double Bass Array
Please communicate in sentences.

Subwoofer Placement in Large Room (30x50x14)Hide this!Advertise here!