Room gain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm currently designing a sub which rolls off 8db from 100Hz to 20Hz but I want to alter the design to account for room gain. I'd like to use a generic transfer function that I could use to at least guess-attempt a flat in-room response.

Eg. 6db/octave below 80Hz, for a room approx. 4m x 3m x 2.5m?
I think even a crude approximation would be helpful.

Or since the transfer function is a result of the room dimensions (and volume?), does someone have a fomula to calculate it?

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Post #10 here gives a graph for average room gain. I will have to look up the original website I got it from, but here it is:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=88719#post88719

One of our members, Serow, has made a file that can be added to Subwoofer Simulator, a loudspeaker modelling program written by our own F4ier, to display a louspeaker response with and without room gain. I'll dig up the post for Serow's file, if you like.

Joined 2001
Just for the heck of it, here is a simulation of a Peerless XLS 12" , (3.5 ohm Re), in a 1 cu ft box tuned to 25 Hz. 28.3 volts driven, (app 200 watts for a 4 ohm speaker). This simulation program is Subwoofer Simulator with Serow's room gain file added.

Upper green line is response with room gain.
Lower green line is response without room gainl
Orange line is impedance.
Purple line is cone excursion.

Attachments

• peerless xls 8 ohm, 1 cu ft box 25 hz.gif
    peerless xls 8 ohm, 1 cu ft box 25 hz.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 770
According to that graph, a crude transfer function is 2db/octave, and my anaechonic design averages 3.3 db/octave below 100Hz which means that, although not perfect, it helps a bit in flattening out the overall FR.

KW, funnily enough, I'm designing for a 10" XLS and 1 passive.

Bill, I'm well aware, but better to have some approximation included in the design then none at all, as room gain will always be apparent.

I'd love a function on how to calcuate the gain based on dimensions...

Attachments

• untitled-1.gif
    untitled-1.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 714
Joined 2001
Post #10 here gives a graph for average room gain. I will have to look up the original website I got it from, but here it is:

Hi KC,

correct me if I'm wrong, but that graph and other similar graphs
are related to compact loudspeakers optimally sited in free space
away from walls, derived from an article by Martin Colloms.

http://www.stereophile.com/features/44/index3.html

Adire Audio use a different room gain curve, in their
subwoofer white papers from where I don't know.

:) sreten.

Joined 2001
Joined 2001
Vikash said:

KW, funnily enough, I'm designing for a 10" XLS and 1 passive.

I'd love a function on how to calcuate the gain based on dimensions...

Ten inch or twelve inch passive?

You know, I have an article by Roy Allison here where he took one loudspeaker and put it in different rooms and measured the curves. I can scan it and send it to anyone interested. :)

According to my simulation program, which has a lower limit of 20Hz, a sealed system with an F3 of 50Hz and a Qts of .5 is almost exactly compensated for by room gain with a variety or reasonable room sizes and a variety of reasonable listening positions.

Changing the speaker to vented, F3 at 30Hz, shows a 6db bump in response at about 32Hz.

Further support, IMO, for low Q sealed systems.

Bill Fitzpatrick said:
According to my simulation program, which has a lower limit of 20Hz, a sealed system with an F3 of 50Hz and a Qts of .5 is almost exactly compensated for by room gain with a variety or reasonable room sizes and a variety of reasonable listening positions.

Changing the speaker to vented, F3 at 30Hz, shows a 6db bump in response at about 32Hz.

Further support, IMO, for low Q sealed systems.

Whilst i don't disagree with your findings overdamped bass
reflexes can emulate the slopes of low Q sealed alignments
in regions of the bass, I don't think its a simple reflex versus
sealed issue.

The white line has a slope of 6dB octave and F3 is near 50Hz.

:) sreten.

Attachments

• overdamped.gif
    overdamped.gif
    59 KB · Views: 449
Joined 2001
Vikash:

Well, I heard 101 dB at 30 Hz, which is supposed to be more hearable than at 20 Hz, (your hearing declines rapidly in bass region), and I must admit I wasn't all that impressed.

Anyway, here is that thread on using two passives instead of one with an XLS 10. You might want to Email some of the contributors, as well as the thread starters, to see if adding another is worth it.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9608&highlight=

sreten said:
Whilst i don't disagree with your findings overdamped bass
reflexes can emulate the slopes of low Q sealed alignments
in regions of the bass, I don't think its a simple reflex versus
sealed issue.

I didn't mean to imply that it was.

Although I have used my program for listener and speaker placement many, many times, it didn't really sink in until today how valuable it is in the design process of the low end response of a woofer. Sadly, the program does not consider vented alignments beyond the textbook Butterworth.

Joined 2001
Vikash:

Here is another thread about a 10" Peerless XLS and a passive radiator.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=19180&perpage=15&highlight=&pagenumber=2

Macky888 in that thread has a homepage where he builds a 10" XLS with two passive radiators and gets great results.

Also, BK electronics over there has a passive radiator for cheap. However, there are some issues of possible "cantilevering" of that PR, (not sure) that may or may not make it usable. Details on the thread.

I Emailed BK electronics on the issure but received no reply. Maybe I will try again-that is one inexpensive PR.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.