Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Anechoic listening room?
Anechoic listening room?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2021, 09:03 AM   #21
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Anechoic listening room?
For 2 channels, stereo reproduction: It would probably be superior to a living room if you would allow some addition of a few extra speaker channels (at least a center and 2 back channels) with generated/simulated content. And in general, quite a lot of signal manipulation like echo etc. A lot of what we hear at home when playing 2 channel is the room - take that away and it will die completely - you would hate it. But recreating it with "DSP" using a completely dead room puts you all in a sudden in total control. This would most certainly enable benefits. It would probably need to be a cube of say 50 meter side with a mesh/open floor at half height to sit on in order to give benefits in the low en ;-)

//
Old 16th October 2021, 12:33 PM   #22
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I think when I ever get my basement cleaned out, I will start treating it for listening and measurements. Just have not had the opportunity to explore rooms yet.
Old 16th October 2021, 01:24 PM   #23
Joel Wesseling is offline Joel Wesseling  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMoNFuZzY View Post

But if you could make an anechoic or close too room as a listening room (for loudspeakers naturally)

would that be recommended?

things could get weird!
My old home had a room that was near anechoic and I listened daily for 15 years.

I would highly recommend it.

Its not weird. The sound is focused and clean without disturbing and WEIRD reflections. My aging hearing is better for it and my new home will get the same room within a year, so I can treat my hearing with respect, once again!

Lots of misconceptions about overtreating a room. I hear it all of the time from top people. Its frustrating.. IMO, reflections as part of analyzing the estimated in room response, is trying to make something good from the bad. Maybe, AES has realized most people are not going to treat their room!

Recorded music and playback has only been around a very short time in the history of Human evolution. We evolved with reflections but not for stereo listening, its to new and in its own process of evolving.
  Reply to this post

Anechoic listening room?Hide this!Advertise here!