Making easy DIY "Depot" sound Diffuser panels, step by step

My daughter and I had a great time building the Depot Diffusers out of foam board this weekend. I kick myself for not taking pictures because we only listened for about 2 hours before we had to take them down so she could bring back the foam board to school today.

My main concern was how they would sound if I could only be 4 feet in front of them. I was extremly surprised at how much deeper the room sounded. I could hear any issues with being so close it was all just good. So as soon as my contract picks up again, I'll build the real thing as doors on my Ikea unit.

Pictures to follow.

Sorry for the late reply, unfortunately I forgot about this thread so I am behind with the promised pics.
Did you try the foam diffusors as doors or as inserts in the rack?

First thanks to Jamesshillj for experimenting with a fractal diffuser and reporting out the comparison. This is the first review of the fractal versus conventional stepped diffuser that exists, other than Tim Perry.

Thanks DJN for trying sitting closer to a mock diffuser to listen for strange artifacts that could occur when sitting closer than the recommended minimum distance. It is reassuring that at least one person has found that it is possible sitting closer than 5 feet without consequence.

I thought of a way to crudely, but simply, make the lean-fuser into a fractal. Since I have made a lot of progress putting together a lean-fuser, I am looking how I could make a simple addition rather than routing or ripping the existing lean-fuser I have already partially built. I would think that I could take 1 x 2 pieces which are 3/4 by 1 1/2 inches in true width and depth, and 8 feet long, and ripping a 1/2 inch wide, 3/8 deep valley into the center of the 1 1/2 side of these boards. They then could be mounted on the surface and in the center of the 2 1/2 inch boards.

Thus, 1/2 inch of the top surface of the 2 1/2 board would still be exposed on one side, following by a 3/4 inch high, 1/2 inch protrusion above the 2 1/2 inch board, followed by 3/8 inch high, 1/2 inch wide protrusion above the 2 1/2 inch board (this being the section ripped out of the 1 x 2 boards), followed by another 3/4 inch high, 1/2 inch wide protrusion above the 2 1/2 board, then followed by 1/2 inch wide of the the remaining top surface of the 2 1/2 inch board.

There would likely be better ways to do this, but this would likely get you most of the way there to that of a fractal.

Retsel

Hey friends,

I have read quite a few articles here but just joined since I am preparing to undertake this project. A photo of my room is attached. I love my Magnepan 1.7is but ofcourse the sound comes out of the front and the back. The biggest issue in the room is this inset area you'll see behind the TV and speakers. If I put the speakers closer together / anywhere near that section, the sound bounces and around and gets screwed up. I do enjoy having the speakers a bit wide but that area is the single biggest issue with my room.

OtC3zV0.jpg

LcD3Rt0.jpg

Problem area is 7ft tall, 2ft deep and 122 inches wide. I have read this thread in totality and love all the changes everyone has made.

Looking at my setup, what would you suggest?

1. Build the current plan with just the two panels. Since I have a TV maybe going the full length of the space is not needed?

2. Building two panels that would fit the full length of the space.

3. Building one mega-panel that covers the full area.

Please note that I used to have the TV mounted to the wall but have since moved it to my equipment rack. TV and rack are moveable but I'm really digging the current placement. Moving them forward any further would really be too close given the size of the TV relative to couch placement.

I know this is an old thread but I would love to hear any thoughts from you fine enthusiasts.

Cheers!

I've made some progress on my room in between amp build projects. I have one set of superchunk bass traps made and up on the subs and the other set is on the bench ready to be assembled and stacked in the from corners.

This week I made 4 first reflection point absorbers with 2" ridgid OC703 board with 1"x 2" frames. I covered them in white muslin and they looked sooooo bland I decided to paint them with cloth dye so they still absorb sound like normal.

Attachments

• 20200603_134149.jpg
    20200603_134149.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 392
  • 20200603_134144.jpg
    20200603_134144.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 398
Reactions: 1 user
today I am making the superchunk bass traps that will sit on the exiting ones you can see in the pix above. Then on to making the Depot diffuser as doors for my LP storage behind the listening position.

One question though. The storage rack is 70" wide do I'll use two of the diffusers as doors. Can I just match them up at their natural side points?

Using Diffusers on the Ceiling

I looked into that. When using diffusers on ceilings, the recommendation that Tim Perry makes is to use 2D diffusers instead of 1D diffusers on ceilings (this stepped diffuser is a 1D diffuser). But I don't think that this is a hard and fast rule. I would look through this posting thread for more information:

DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals) - Gearslutz

I also thought about using diffusers on all all surfaces (except for the floor) because of their benefits. The problem, though, is that diffusers are mostly reflective and you want to mix reflective surfaces with absorption to arrive at a good amount of sound decay.

After the back wall, Acoustic Fields has recommended placing diffusers on the back walls and ceiling in the same area as the listening position.

I would do a lot of reading. One thing I read is that 1D diffusers on the side walls reflecting in the horizontal plane in large auditoriums creates issues for orchestras because of the reflective sound back at the stage. But this likely does not affect listening rooms. I was thinking of using bookshelves on the side walls on either side of the listening position since I will need to place some bookshelves in the room, and while bookshelves can scatter sound, they are not as effective as diffusers.

I am in the process of building 4 fractal diffusers for the backwall and I am fairly far along. I will post pictures when they are done.

Retsel

I looked into that. When using diffusers on ceilings, the recommendation that Tim Perry makes is to use 2D diffusers instead of 1D diffusers on ceilings (this stepped diffuser is a 1D diffuser). But I don't think that this is a hard and fast rule. ... snip

Retsel

Perry's recommendation of 2D diffusers ("scyscrapers") on the ceiling, instead of 1Ds is 2-parted.

A) Due the distance diffuser-LP. A common room height is somewhere 2,4-2,7 m / 8-9 feet. With LP at height of about 1 m / 3,3', one is close to the diffuser and might encounter lobing problems, -unless the diffuser is very shallow with a cut off frequency high in frequency. D'Antonio at RPG (who brought diffusers to the market) together with professor Cox at Salford University recommends a distance of 3 x the cut off frequency or more in their book. ( Acoustic Absorbers and Diffusers: Theory, Design and Application: Cox, Trevor J., D'Antonio, Peter: 9780415471749: Amazon.com: Books Very good book, one can find it for downloading on the internet if money is a problem and moral is a lesser one.)

B) Reflection strength is about 7 dB down from 1Ds and about 20 dB down from 2Ds, -so 2Ds are more suitable at closer distances. (Typical lobing frequencies not considered, they can be louder)

More than 5 years after this thread was started...

Another successful Depot Diffuser!! I will have to say that furring strips have gotten so bad that instead I purchased 1x6's and ripped them to the right widths. Once the new live room in the new studio gets finished, I need to make about 20 more!

gabo

Attachments

• Depot_Diffuser1.jpg
    Depot_Diffuser1.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Studio Live Room

Speaking of live room in a studio. I was thinking of alternating depot diffusers with absorption in the live room. So 34.5 in of diffusion, then 34.5 inches of absorption down each wall. With opposing walls having the different surfaces across from each other. I.e. across the room on the opposite wall from a diffuser panel would be an absorption panel and vice versa.

I'll probably also put bass traps in the corners.

Any opinions on this strategy for a live room? I'm concerned that it might be too dead, but not sure. I'll probably shoot the room using REW all along to see where things stand prior to continuing, but just wondered if anyone else had good input/suggestions. The goal would be to have a nice lively room, but with as few standing waves as possible. Maybe about a 3-4 second T60 time?

gabo

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I have been searching the internet finding a way to improve the sound of my room. It doesnt have a hard sound if i listen to my system but when i clap my hands i can hear there is to much reflection for sure.
The space behind the speakers is 80% window but the curtain on this side of the room always closed. SO i could install some kind of diffuser or absorber between window and curtain.
On the opposite side of the speakers , 5 feet maximum behind listening postn there is also a lot of glass. There are curtains but 99% of the time they are open.
In front of both speakers there is a little wall at 6 feet from the front side of the speaker. A kind of '' arch '' so to say. 80% of that arch is covered by wall mounted racks with blu ray and magazines.
From my listening position i can see the total shape of both speakers.
My idea is that with horn speakers the influence of the space close to the speakers could have less influence soundwise.
But i wouldnt mind covering the ceiling in that part of my room with 2 square meters with some product.
I have seen the BBC designed skyline diffuser and i have seen one video on you tube from an Eastern Europe man who made a program to enter your preferences so you can make the panels fit better into your space.
The wall left and right in front of me when seated are already taking by some art, furniture, flatscreen and mirror. I think it will be possible to put a diffusing surface equal to a 55 inch screen on both sides.
I can not put them opposite each other but a bit in the same area. One probably horizontally and the other vertically
Any suggestions and/or links are welcome.
Greetings, Eduard

Attachments

• altec achterkamer.jpg
    altec achterkamer.jpg
    980.1 KB · Views: 415
  • altec vot kurk.jpg
    altec vot kurk.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 405
  • IMGP1410.jpg
    IMGP1410.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 387
  • IMGP1142.jpg
    IMGP1142.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 384
More than 5 years after this thread was started...

Another successful Depot Diffuser!! I will have to say that furring strips have gotten so bad that instead I purchased 1x6's and ripped them to the right widths. Once the new live room in the new studio gets finished, I need to make about 20 more!

gabo

I made a bunch of these for my HT room walls, they work so well, i absorbed first reflections and diffused the rest of the walls. Sooooooo easy to make