Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Making easy DIY "Depot" sound Diffuser panels, step by step
Making easy DIY "Depot" sound Diffuser panels, step by step
Making easy DIY "Depot" sound Diffuser panels, step by step Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2019, 04:00 PM   #151
Retsel is offline Retsel  United States
diyAudio Member

First, thanks to Bwaslo for designing these and sharing the construction technique. I am building four of these for my back wall. I have started to build them and then stopped my construction as I ponder an adjustment to their construction.

There is some empty space behind the outside plywood piece which supports the furring strips which form the diffuser steps. This empty space is created by the two 1 x 2 wooden pieces which supports either end of the outside plywood pieces. If one 1 x 2 piece is moved inward towards the center of that outside plywood piece, it would make a horizontal space which would add to the diffuser "depth." The potential downside to the horizontal space is that the absorption would be greater than the vertical wells. But it would be interesting to at least model the effect that a horizontal well could have on the diffuser performance. I hope to get the model working to see if I can model this change, and figure out how deep the horizontal wells should be for best performance.

Just one construction idea that I used. For half of the 1 x 3 pieces I used rough furring strips, but for the pieces facing the outside, I used finished pieces so that the outside face of the diffuser would have a nicer appearance. The downside of this approach is that the rough 1 x 3 pieces are a little wider than the finished ones. I started out sanding the wider pieces down, but this was going to take forever, so I ripped them using a table saw and that worked good, and then I touched them up with some finish sandpaper to smooth out the finish of the table saw cuts.

Retsel
Old 20th November 2019, 05:53 PM   #152
carlthess40 is offline carlthess40  United States
diyAudio Member

Where’s a build list and so one?
Is it better to use hard or soft wood?
I love ceded and Cyprus and wood with a lot of reds in them and with a ruff cut to them
Old 20th November 2019, 06:05 PM   #153
Retsel is offline Retsel  United States
diyAudio Member

The very first post contains the list of building materials and a diagram of how to put them together.

I should also note that I am gluing and screwing everything together with these diffusers to prevent this thing from singing like a canary when the sound levels are higher in the room.

One more note, since I am coupling multiple diffuser panels together for my back wall, the height of each diffuser panel should be different to improve the diffusion properties of multiple diffusers.

Here is another website where diffuser ideas are discussed, and the original designer of these 1D diffusers, Tim Perry, regularly posts to this site.

DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals) - Page 16 - Gearslutz
Old 20th November 2019, 06:15 PM   #154
carlthess40 is offline carlthess40  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot. Great job

Making easy DIY "Depot" sound Diffuser panels, step by stepHide this!Advertise here!