Room/house curve in speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PA speakers? Cinema Speakers? Rock Concert line arrays? Home speakers?

For the most part systems are designed to be approximately flat on axis under anechoic conditions. The house curve then largely stems from the interaction between speaker directivity, room acoustics and listener distance.

As such it would be wrong to build a house curve into the speaker itself.

Hi,

Thanks for replies, I meant on house speakers. Found info that Polk used to made some speakers with room curve implemented, and later abandoned this. So, was curious, whether some other manufacturers are doing something similar.

It seems, matching the speakers with house/room curve is only possible to those people equipped with sound processing equipment.

Tried to search the topics on this forum with words: house, room, curve and found nothing. It is a bit strange that this area is not discussed.

regards

Hi,

Are the room or house curve built in factory made speakers?

regards
Show picture or technical detail, to see what you mean?! (I don't understand)
Sometimes a catenary curve is implemented in the speakers but THAT is a marketing ploy, more or less and it doesn't work. When you go up from low-end to mid-priced the speakers usually get a more flat curve similar to monitors. It doesn't mean that the more expensive "are right" or their curve is good or well implemented sometimes is not. What you see many times is a reinforcement of the LF like what you have in a high Q.

Tried to search the topics on this forum with words: house, room, curve and found nothing. It is a bit strange that this area is not discussed.

Actually, I think you ask a very good question. I find that this is an area that is steadfastly ignored by most during the buying/DIY process.

Corner horn loudspeakers, such as the Klipschorn and Klipsch Jubilee, Voight, Vitavox, ElectroVoice, JBL, etc. are built with their house curve built-in since the placement of the speakers within a listening room is predetermined, as are the prime listening areas within those rooms to a great extent. Note that we are talking about frequencies below the so-called Schroeder frequency of the listening room, which is typically below 200 Hz. House curves for large venues extend to higher frequencies, but are based on psychoacoustics and large-room acoustic losses and characteristic reflection time delays.

See Corner Horn Imaging FAQ - diyAudio

Last edited:
With your linked article in mind, and looking at the reply by "speaker dave" above, I see a different picture than the typical questions about the "non-flat frequency response in-room" subject area.

The response by speaker dave is concise - but perhaps too much so. Maybe some dialogue would suffice on this subject rather than "advise and consent" offer, as above.

First, I have some serious problems with the linked HTS article on house curves. I'd recommend going to another source of discussion on this subject, such as articles from engineering journals (e.g., JAES, SMPTE, JASA, etc.). The linked article seems to not be very calibrated to all that I know about this subject area, and seems to fasten on observations and assumptions that just seem to include non sequiturs on the subject. I'd be careful about drawing any conclusions from that article or the articles linked with it. It seems very confused IMHO.

As for discussion of the subject, note that "house curves" engage several tacitly implicit areas simultaneously unlike some other areas of study in acoustics and audio that allow for more decoupling of the ideas in discussion.

As mentioned above, there is the subject of setting up loudspeakers in small rooms, then setting the same speakers up in large arenas and other commercially viable venues - with the idea that a single "transfer function" of 1/3 octave band corrections can correct for typical listener timbre perception differences between two extremes in room size with specific loudspeaker models, each having their own specific directivity functions vs. frequency and characteristic polars in 3-D space for both direct and reflected/refracted sound emitted.

There is also connectivity of the areas of room acoustics (size, shape, acoustic absorption characteristics vs. frequency, etc.) and certain types of loudspeakers, by absolute placement in each room (a subject that I responded to above).

There is also the issue of soundtracks mixed for large theaters being used for small home theaters without some sort of remixing/mastering taking place in order to correct for venue size differences. This is a very confused and confusing area, IMHO,

Then there is the subject of movie theater "X-Curve" approach used by the movie industry to simplify the problem domain for commercial operators.

There are even more areas that could be listed here, but I'll refrain from discussing any more than this small set of subtopics for the moment. Are there any of these areas that you were thinking about?

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.