Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Controlled vs wide dispersion in a normal living room environment..
Controlled vs wide dispersion in a normal living room environment..
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2019, 09:40 PM   #781
Adhoc1 is offline Adhoc1
diyAudio Member

Placing sofas and speakers in front of a large concave surface like the bay window would be asking for trouble, there is a high risc of focusing all reflection within that concave area to one spot. -Similar to a parabolic antenna, the opposite of a simple polycylindrical diffuser.

Last edited by Adhoc1; 24th February 2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 24th February 2019, 10:35 PM   #782
martyh is offline martyh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhoc1 View Post
Placing sofas and speakers in front of a large concave surface...
True but I think very easy to solve. Easy way is window treatment another possibility would be panels on barn door hardware that could close at the wall line. They might even be made as a slim diffusers.
Old 25th February 2019, 04:59 PM   #783
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
What I noticed from the drawings and descriptions shown above is that many of you are dealing with highly constrained conditions that will seriously limit the end result.
Yes. I've largely removed the room from the equation by listening nearfield, I don't think there is any going back for me, and having the speakers and listening position near walls appears to produce largely insurmountable problems.
Old 26th February 2019, 09:31 PM   #784
Bicicletta is offline Bicicletta  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhazi View Post
Great.
Love for the matter and talented teacher.
That's gold.
Old 28th February 2019, 07:26 PM   #785
kivitel is offline kivitel  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
What I noticed from the drawings and descriptions shown above is that many of you are dealing with highly constrained conditions that will seriously limit the end result.
Earl, long time listener first time caller. The dilemma faced by many people listening in small rooms is that the tighter directivity is conventionally accomplished with larger speakers - bigger direct radiators, which are directive through one mechanism, and large waveguides, which are directive due to another.

For fun, I have been designing a dodecahedral omnidirectional speaker using small full-range units. Using 12 units makes up for the low output of these drivers somewhat, and although an omnidirectional high frequency source has some benefits, limiting early reflections is not one of them. The units I am using are 2" BMRs with outstanding wide dispersion into the top octave.

My question is this - do you think there is any merit to narrowing directivity by using sound absorption materials close to the sound source?

To illustrate my suggestion, imagine a 5" sphere with an array of 12 tiny drivers on it (what I am working on.) This source can achieve acceptable sound from 300hz on up. If this array was placed in a 1' diameter cylinder with one open end, lined with acoustic absorbing materials (which are highly effective at these frequencies) do you think the sound could be aimed at the listener? Sort of like an inverse shotgun microphone.

Thanks for your contributions to the hobby over the years, and especially for linking the Griesinger paper on speaker imaging.

Controlled vs wide dispersion in a normal living room environment..Hide this!Advertise here!