Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Controlled vs wide dispersion in a normal living room environment..
Controlled vs wide dispersion in a normal living room environment..
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2019, 07:01 AM   #771
33Polkhigh is offline 33Polkhigh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
My room is too small to achieve even that.

I started to try to do a bit of basic measurement and trigonometry to try to figure out how far off the speaker axis I am and ended up deciding to build a sketchup model of my floor plan instead as it was easier...
That's almost like what I'm dealing with except a big screen tv where the cabinet is. Lots of early reflections.

I think one solution is to put the speakers on the floor below and in front of the tv and angle them up to make the first reflection points the corners.

You really can't do the toe in technique with big flat object like a cabinet between them, unless the object itself diffuses sound.

Last edited by 33Polkhigh; 24th February 2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 24th February 2019, 12:05 PM   #772
krivium is online now krivium  France
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Earl thanks for your answer. Ok it follow more or less the 'theorical' i've been teached 20 years ago.
I asked because it seems that in the last ten years there have been a lot of redefinition in acoustics limit of application from what i understand.

I know this is off topic as we are talking about domestic environnement but for example Ebu (iirc) specify 45m3 as lower limit for control room duties. It is way lower than what i learned 20 years ago ( about 100m3 was considered lower limit at that time - and by my teacher's view).
It astonish me as laws of physics can't really be broken but it seems pro (commercial) acousticians have managed to apply tricks to lower limits.

Last edited by krivium; 24th February 2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 24th February 2019, 01:42 PM   #773
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

^Those EBU "limits" might be just economically determined.

EBU is European Broadcasting Union, and despite the largest companies are state-owned, their funding is getting lower and lower...

International Telecommunication Union, ITU has it's headquarters in Switzerland too. They have published many standards too.

Last edited by Juhazi; 24th February 2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 24th February 2019, 01:56 PM   #774
krivium is online now krivium  France
diyAudio Member

I know about economical constraints in the industry Juhazi ( i was actually part of the industry some years ago ).
Yes it's a bummer this budget constraints makes technical things the first to be touched ( even the BBC doesn't have R&D anymore...).
The fact is this 'standards' are there and works is produced thru them. And all i can say is that the results of this works is not nescessarely worst than it was years ago in large venue ( if we let things like loudness war at our side, because it is an other matter in my view...).

Earl's point of view is interesting about that for me as he is an acoustician and may have a sharp point about that.

Anyway, at the moment some very good results seems to be achievable in 'small' rooms with 'modern' approach as T. Jouanjouan's designed room or WSDG's one seems to be recognised environnement worldwide in the industry ( a bit off topic from domestic environnement but interesting nevertheless- at least for me!).

Last edited by krivium; 24th February 2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 24th February 2019, 03:59 PM   #775
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

What I noticed from the drawings and descriptions shown above is that many of you are dealing with highly constrained conditions that will seriously limit the end result. My room was custom designed and built from scratch to be a listening room and home theater and was done with as few compromises as possible. This means that what I do and have done may be vastly different that what one would do in a highly constrained situation.
Old 24th February 2019, 06:12 PM   #776
diyAudio Member

I started using a big screen TV as a computer monitor some years ago. Great idea, but I was listening to music less and less for some reason. I figured its time for better speakers. The problem was the early reflections though. Of course there are worse problems in life than early reflections.

My next attempt will be directional speakers that sit on the floor below and in front of the TV, that are angled up a bit.
Old 24th February 2019, 06:29 PM   #777
Bicicletta is offline Bicicletta  Europe
diyAudio Member

Can we make a virtue of necessity?

In tiny rooms every few meters the sound finds a wall,

the listening point will always be leaning against a wall,

alterations of the tone of the reverberated field, for an excessive absorption of medium-high frequencies,

mess up the sounds in the wide modal region.

Incidentally, IMO, even in large domestic rooms, the frequencies reproduced in the modal region are unpleasant, compared to what we can hear in a concert hall.
Old 24th February 2019, 06:55 PM   #778
martyh is offline martyh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post

I started to try to do a bit of basic measurement ...
I wish I had a room as good as yours If it were mine I would rotate 90 degrees clockwise. One sofa in front of the bay window + flanking chairs on the sidewalls. Play with the widow coverings and hopefully achieve sonic + domestic bliss.
Old 24th February 2019, 07:08 PM   #779
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicicletta View Post
Can we make a virtue of necessity?

In tiny rooms every few meters the sound finds a wall,

the listening point will always be leaning against a wall,

alterations of the tone of the reverberated field, for an excessive absorption of medium-high frequencies,

mess up the sounds in the wide modal region.

Incidentally, IMO, even in large domestic rooms, the frequencies reproduced in the modal region are unpleasant, compared to what we can hear in a concert hall.
Yes. I noticed my car doesn't sound fatiguing and its a small space (obviouisly). I think it highly absorptive and there are mostly round surfaces. So I think its the large flat surfaces in rooms that really mess up a frequency response.
I have a storage area with boxes all over the place, and almost no bare wall space. I think I will try setting up some speakers in there and see how it sounds. Of course I've learned it really takes time to assess whether a room sounds good or not.
Old 24th February 2019, 08:04 PM   #780
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

David Griesinger has published a lot of studies of acoustics, also of small rooms and of headphone listening. He states that many classical recordings carry information of reverberations in the hall where the recording was done.

I screenshot from a video - he recommends placing stereo (sub)woofers on the long wall, at 1/3 and 2/3 of width. I have had just that for 12 years and it works, but also my rather open, soft and large room helps too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg griesinger low bass.jpg (116.7 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by Juhazi; 24th February 2019 at 08:09 PM.

Controlled vs wide dispersion in a normal living room environment..Hide this!Advertise here!