Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Room Acoustics & Mods A place to discuss measuring and modifying room Acoustics for better sound

Controlled vs wide dispersion in a normal living room environment..
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2019, 01:46 AM   #581
Kal Rubinson is offline Kal Rubinson  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Toole, for example, only listens to classical music, I pretty much only listen to studio work.
When I visited him recently, he played nothing but pop/studio stuff.
Old 11th February 2019, 02:25 AM   #582
Bill Coltrane is offline Bill Coltrane  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
Mitch

I would completely agree with you on this. The expectation differences for in-venue classical music versus studio work usually gets lost in these discussions and yet it may well be the major consideration. It is impossible to determine the validity of what someone is saying unless they are clear on what it is they are expecting. Toole, for example, only listens to classical music, I pretty much only listen to studio work. Our different positions on directivity stem directly from this musical preference difference.
I, as a consumer, just want to hear what the artist intended for me to hear, without spending an arm and a leg.
Old 11th February 2019, 03:17 AM   #583
Kal Rubinson is offline Kal Rubinson  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Coltrane View Post
I, as a consumer, just want to hear what the artist intended for me to hear, without spending an arm and a leg.
I completely agree but how can we know what that is? The best we can do, I believe, is to hear exactly what's on the released recording.
Old 11th February 2019, 06:38 AM   #584
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

At least some mixers take their 2ch versions back home for listening, before release. Sound studios and living rooms are so different acoustically, that this comparison is needed at least in the beginning of career.

Symphonic music gets it's sound mostly in recording venue - placement and type of microphones and the specific hall. Small groups and jazz is often recorded in studios with also close mics.

In analog years even record labels had typical sound and legendary recording engineers Decca, Deutsche Grammophon, RCA/Victor, EMI

Story of Decca Sound The Decca Sound: Secrets Of The Engineers – The Polymath Perspective

More about these can be read from eg.
Session Notes: Classical Vocal & Piano Ensemble |
Orchestral Recording - Mixonline
Microphone Technique Basics For Musical Instruments - ProSoundWeb
Old 11th February 2019, 09:24 AM   #585
Omholt is offline Omholt  Norway
diyAudio Member

I'm quite confident that what most people would prefer is accuracy, which implies strongly attenuated early reflections, combined with late arrival lateral diffuse energy. This gives the best of both worlds, but it does require a room that is large enough and acoustic treatment.
Old 11th February 2019, 10:18 AM   #586
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Given the option, I'd choose controlled then I could have it wide if I thought the material sounded better that way in my room.
Old 11th February 2019, 11:08 AM   #587
Bicicletta is offline Bicicletta  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omholt View Post
I'm quite confident that what most people would prefer is accuracy, which implies strongly attenuated early reflections, combined with late arrival lateral diffuse energy...
I'm there.

By the way, am I the only one who can accept "wet" for a few instruments, and wants "dry" for orchestra?
Old 11th February 2019, 11:17 AM   #588
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicicletta View Post
By the way, am I the only one who can accept "wet" for a few instruments, and wants "dry" for orchestra?
Doesn't it depend more on the venue/recording/mixing and any other unknown variables?
Old 11th February 2019, 12:03 PM   #589
Omholt is offline Omholt  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicicletta View Post
I'm there.

I hesitate to use descriptions like "dry" and "wet".

What I am describing combines accuracy without being dead. It's both accurate and with a high level of "energy" and liveliness. However, very few have heard such a setup done correctly. Hence, most don't know what it really is. Those who have, are basically blown away.
Old 11th February 2019, 06:48 PM   #590
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Coltrane View Post
I was talking to an artist yesterday, they said art is open to interpretation by the receiver and the artist has no right to dictate the meaning or perception.

Controlled vs wide dispersion in a normal living room environment..Hide this!Advertise here!