Multiple dipole subs, can nulls be compensated and room response averaged out?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a normal sized room of ~ 5 x 5 m and want to have some bass. I want roughly equal response everywhere in the room. If I've understood correctly a good way of getting this is by using 3 monopole subs placed pseudo-randomly a la Geddes.

Would it be possible though to use the same principle but 3 dipole subs instead?

My main question is if it's possible to do away with uneven room response due to the dipole nulls by using multiple subs or if I'm fighting an uphill struggle and I'm better off with vanilla sealed monopoles?

Thanks in advance,
Olle

Last edited:
Linkwitz claims that dipole woofers are better because they stimulate fewer room modes. Roger Russel (retired head of acoustic research at McIntosh) claims that vertical line arrays works better with the room acoustics, to give a relatively even bass response anywhere in the room. Although I haven't tried it, I'm thinking the line array makes better sense to me, because they fill the room from more physical locations on all three axis (if you have two of them, and they go pretty close to floor to ceiling). Plus, closed box line arrays can be actively equalized to be flat to 20 HZ, where as if you have open baffle dipoles, the amount of cone displacement required below about 40HZ gets pretty extreme, and may not really be practical. Personally I think going all the way to at least 25 HZ is definitely worth it. Drums sound much better, and many movies have special effects that go way down in freq. My next woofer project will be vertical. line arrays with maybe 4 or 5 inch drivers, perhaps the Dayton drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.