Monopole vs Dipole bass in small room - The battle continues - Wavelets to the rescue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am testing my dipole bass with Kugelwellen horn( this all to control room response).
Dipole kugelwellen 94db 1wmtr approximately. Left and right channel measured on their position in the livingroom measured out side it will have less ripple.(ripple at 100-400hz is caused by passive filter not the woofer.)

So a big dipole in a corner still gives good efficiency here flat down to 35Hz about 1mtr from back wall, I can move them and have also measured flat down to 30Hz. And very low groupdelay.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2011-09-11 om 14.37.46.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-09-11 om 14.37.46.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
Last edited:
Dan

you didn't find that the dipoles had a more natural sounding bass?

Cheers

That depends on how deep we are talking. With my old set up, I did like the dipole bass above sub frequencies(what I consider midbass 100-300Hz). It integrated better with my dipole mid than my old box woofer though too. My impression is that it may be the best midbass I've had. To be honest, I'm not even sure about that now. My current stereo sounds great--it's overall the my favorite out of all that I've had and it's got ported midbass drivers. I've never heard a suitable quantity of dipole sub bass--below 80Hz and down to at least 25Hz. I'm still trying to figure out why it would even be desirable. Yes I see it CAN make a cleaner graph, but the only studies I know of say our perception isn't very good in that range. What I know of hearing agrees.

Also my in room measurements of dipoles in the midbass have been better than my in room measurements of boxed woofers. This array(hate to call it that) of three 6.5" woofers measures similar to the dipole in the frequency domain. Not sure which one sounds better d/t relying on memory. I'll say I'm not displeased now, that's for sure.

I think that midbass in room frequency response is important to say the least. Every study I know of agrees or at least doesn't refute it, but I don't think I've read them all. Working on it.

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.