• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Super V/i converted (LL1684 )

You are welcome.

Again, not sure if the 9018 performs at its best when the bias voltage is disturbed. Otoh, introducing caps somehow spoils the entire idea of a transformer, doesn't it?

For me it does unfortunately. I tried different caps for Super V/I and each time I got different sound signature, so for me it does matter. I tried polymer, ESA and copper foil. Copper foil was best in clarity. However now, no cap is best :) especially in high frequencies. At least this observation works for ak4490.

Call for someone to test Super V/I LL1684 (no cap) with es90x8.

Otoh, I am wonder how Teramoto Finemet transformers handles bias voltage for es90x8 without the cap ...

Last edited:
A quick scan of the archives indicates the 1.65v is of no importance, or at least i cannot see a valid reason for trying to preserve it, no matter whether current or voltage operation is desired.

So the Teramoto does exactly the same thing as the Lundahl in its place does, only sounds much, much better

Hello Guang Hao,
Sorry , but if i understand well, in this case i have a 4 : 1 transformer and not a 1 : 4 transformer for more gain.
I want to use LL1674 or LL1676 (1 : 2) in your dac converter.

LL1684 = 1:1 / Prim dc = 41 ohm/winding / Second dc : 41 ohm
LL1674 = 1:4 / Prim dc = 33 ohm/winding / Second dc : 605 ohm
LL1676 = 1:2 / Prim dc = 145 ohm/winding / Second dc : 605 ohm

Br
Jacky

HI!

You can use LL1674 in the configuration 1+1 : 4 instead of 1 + 1 : 2

A my friend use this configuration without problems, some modifications on output pcb are necessary to use it!

no need by LL1684, thanks
quanghao

HI!

You can use LL1674 in the configuration 1+1 : 4 instead of 1 + 1 : 2

A my friend use this configuration without problems, some modifications on output pcb are necessary to use it!

no need by LL1684, thanks
quanghao

Hello Guang Hao,
If i am not mistaken , connections are like this with LL1674 :

Attachments

• plan-etage-sortie-ll1674.png
    plan-etage-sortie-ll1674.png
    206.1 KB · Views: 805
Vishay VAR-Series "naked" 18 ohm parallel to the output, then:
Lundahl LL1941

Trafo must be loaded by a reasonably high impedance (>25k)

Works very well.

//

Hello,
So , i understand well, ES9018 works in current mode , but output must be very low at the primary and gain partially offset by the output transformer ?
Could you give us some voltage level in this case ?
Br
Jacky

The caps and the resistor in the primary side of the transformer as per kmajjo diagram form a low pass filter, this way you wont put subsonic frequencies in the trafo and create distortion :)

Since amorphous core transformers are very sensitive to dc offsets(if you apply a dc voltage across any of the coils you can magnetize the core and after the transformer will produce distortions) I don`t reccomend that you use in place of this filter a short wire to ground. LL1674 and LL1684 are amorphous core transformers.

There is another thread here where Joe Rasmussen presents some interesting things that you should check.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/164294-buffalo-ii-transformers-19.html
See from post 185 and after.
I am using my es9018 with some LL1684 in the output connected as per diagram C in post 185 in the link above and the combo sound very good.

Regards.