• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board - version 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today I removed the jumper, but found out that it was there for a reason. Removing it resulted in the exact same problem as danielkol was having with his DAC. I had to put back the jumper in order to get the DAC working again. Although the connector ground and DAC ground are connected, it still is isolated from my CD-transport. The spdif output of my CD-transport also has a isolating pulse transformer :) as any spdif output should have.

As a prospective user of this DAC (I'm in the second buyer's group) I'm very interested on everything that is being written in this thread. Very useful information here, Thanks Corpius, Algar_emi, danielkol and all of you who are contributing. :)
Anyway, it wouldn't hurt if Quanghao himself entered more often in this thread to clarify or explain some points about the design or settings of the DAC which might seem obscure or puzzling to the final user. He's probably very busy at the moment, but sparing some minutes now and then to post here would be very appreciated, ( Speaking for myself, but I expect that most of you will see my point )

I wonder if I can use 195 ohm series resistors and 100 pf to ground at the output off 9018. Then I will send it to a circuit with 220 ohn series resistors and 39 kohm to ground. Looks like ess 9018 is oscillating. There is 200 mv ac out off 9018 and 77 ma ac out off analog stage and no signal. What is neccesary for voltage out circuit ?

Hi Steve

How are you finding the DAC - any impressions you could share maybe compared to other DAC's you have owned?

Thanks

Marcus,

I've been out of town buried with work. Unfortunately, all I was able to do was take it out of the box, look to make sure everything was there, and that's it. I've yet to hook it up! Sigh...

As soon as I have a chance to spend some time with it, I'll report back.

Steve

Strange. It is working just fine in my own setup without the jumper.

hello quanghao.

can you please explain why my dac has the same problem as danielkol his dac when the jumper between spdif connector ground and dac ground is not installed? Also .. How can it be that Algar_Emi his dac play fine without the jumper? I think that
it's very strange indeed.

Hi all,

a question to the mains power fuse. Every week i have to change my fuse. First i had a 200mAT.
Ok, that's a bit low. But 220V/5 = 44W. For running this should be enough.

Now i replaced it with 400mA = ca. 88W. And it's the same. Once a week it burns down.

Which Value do you use?

Greets jogi

That's quite reasonable. 0.4A startup with a 120VAC supply translates roughly to 0.2A in 220-240VAC powered countries. Therefore, anjogi's problem with 0.2A fuses are understandable, but 0.4A fuses should be able to cope without much trouble. It's also a bit odd that his fuses blow once a week and not randomly.
Possibly is a matter of different transformers giving different startup peaks ?.

I wonder if I can use 195 ohm series resistors and 100 pf to ground at the output off 9018. Then I will send it to a circuit with 220 ohn series resistors and 39 kohm to ground. Looks like ess 9018 is oscillating. There is 200 mv ac out off 9018 and 77 ma ac out off analog stage and no signal. What is neccesary for voltage out circuit ?

Better after I mounted the lead for GND out :)

As a prospective user of this DAC (I'm in the second buyer's group) I'm very interested on everything that is being written in this thread. Very useful information here, Thanks Corpius, Algar_emi, danielkol and all of you who are contributing. :)
Anyway, it wouldn't hurt if Quanghao himself entered more often in this thread to clarify or explain some points about the design or settings of the DAC which might seem obscure or puzzling to the final user. He's probably very busy at the moment, but sparing some minutes now and then to post here would be very appreciated, ( Speaking for myself, but I expect that most of you will see my point )

I am of like mind to Artur5 and he puts it well. It would also be good to heard from people who have their DAC and how the sound compares with other DACs.

Looking forward to reading replies.

Today I removed the jumper, but found out that it was there for a reason. Removing it resulted in the exact same problem as danielkol was having with his DAC. I had to put back the jumper in order to get the DAC working again. Although the connector ground and DAC ground are connected, it still is isolated from my CD-transport. The spdif output of my CD-transport also has a isolating pulse transformer :) as any spdif output should have.

what jum you remove it ??
thanks

hello quanghao.

can you please explain why my dac has the same problem as danielkol his dac when the jumper between spdif connector ground and dac ground is not installed? Also .. How can it be that Algar_Emi his dac play fine without the jumper? I think that
it's very strange indeed.

that is may be i wrong it!

the tranfomer with SPDF in put need one to GND,

I put it welded by hand.

there may be inadvertent, I did not check thoroughly.
thanks

and now you fix it ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.