• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board - version 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Caad, Daniil

could you please tell me the exact jumpers you soldered. I cannot find jumper 7 or 9. In the manual there are J1 - J6, J+, J-, but no J7...

My DAC doesn't have jumpers on the downside. What are PS jumpers?

I want to check these jumpers too.

Thanks, jogi

Hi

Sorry about the confusion. These Jumpers (J7 and J9) are to be found on the DAC board.

PS: The unlock topic i did have are not quite the same issue as danielkol in post #960 have shown on the film clip. The issue i notice was sudden unlock. Then i had to turn the Dac off for minimum 5minutes. Fixing the J7 and J9 did fix this.
Br
CAAD,

Attachments

• J7_J9.jpg
    J7_J9.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
DSD is still hosed

Reflashing did not make any difference.

Firmware

I used 115.

When you unzip it, there is a readme file with instructions, just follow them.

Yes I've gone through the JRiver config steps listed on the AudioDesign site multiple times and have tried other variations. There are only a few relevant settings. As I said, I have DSD over USB working on my other DAC (Buffalo II with USB via Amanero).

Hi boudy!

please check all set up jiver out put, please see this link for it:

ES9018 USB DAC - Hi-Resolution System*

thanks

Attachments

• P8070002.jpg
    P8070002.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 400
  • P8070004.jpg
    P8070004.jpg
    918.3 KB · Views: 381
  • P8070007.jpg
    P8070007.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 366
  • P8070008.jpg
    P8070008.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Thank's caad,

i will watch for these jumpers if i get a problem like this.

Further question

I want to use a headphone to. I saw the headphone jack implemented by algar_emi.

But my amp has RCA plugs so i don't use the XLR plugs. I bought a cable with XLR to headphone jack and tried.

Now the problem: if headphone not plugged in but cable is then the sound over the RCA to my amp is very distorted. You can't hear this. It's only if the cable ends open without headphone.
But it's not very comfortable to plug in and out every time the XLR-plugs.

Can somone explain this?

thank's jogi

Thank's caad,

i will watch for these jumpers if i get a problem like this.

Further question

I want to use a headphone to. I saw the headphone jack implemented by algar_emi.

But my amp has RCA plugs so i don't use the XLR plugs. I bought a cable with XLR to headphone jack and tried.

Now the problem: if headphone not plugged in but cable is then the sound over the RCA to my amp is very distorted. You can't hear this. It's only if the cable ends open without headphone.
But it's not very comfortable to plug in and out every time the XLR-plugs.

Can somone explain this?

thank's jogi

Are you sure the cable use no transformers ?

XLR to headphone cable is possible, you need to get positive pin of XLR

Hi Quanghao!

I really need the missing cable for the control unit now. It has been several months and the dac is useless without that cable. You promised to send it two times now, and i still have no cable. Please send it as soon as possible, please respond to my PM:s.

Best Regards Christian

Andrea,

I prevoiusly had a problem with unlock and strange dac behaviour. Caad suggested to solder power supply jumpers and it seemed to work.
But today I connected my TV via optical cable and the issue came back. You can see the video in the attached file.

Could you suggest what to do?

My DAC has the same problem with the USB input. The rapidly switching between PCM and DSD starts after about 15 minutes or so and it now also ends with the display showing "NO LOCK". When that happens the DAC needs to switched off and back on again to get it working again.

This is what I tried so far:
  • using WASAPI drivers instead of ASIO drivers, but this does not help.
  • I soldered all jumpers to ensure continuity, but this doesn't help.
  • Using an different USB cable (cables are 0.5 meter in lenght). Doesn't help either.

SPDIF input seems to work fine, so I still think that the problem is related to the Amanero, the digital isolator or something else at the USB input. Any ideas on how to pin down the problem?

My DAC has the same problem with the USB input. The rapidly switching between PCM and DSD starts after about 15 minutes or so and it now also ends with the display showing "NO LOCK". When that happens the DAC needs to switched off and back on again to get it working again.

you usr jiver media ??

if us it, it is very very always wrong when play music,

so need re stat your computer, and play again!
thanks

you usr jiver media ??

if us it, it is very very always wrong when play music,

so need re stat your computer, and play again!
thanks
Yes, I use Jriver media.

I will try and report back wat happens.

Corpius,

I've also tried changing Usb cables and Amonero modules - still no result.

For me the same problem persists even on Optical input, lock is stable only with coax.

I have a dac from previous GB and it locks fine to all the inputs in the very same configuration (same laptop, same cables and input formats)

Daniil

Corpius,

I've also tried changing Usb cables and Amonero modules - still no result.

For me the same problem persists even on Optical input, lock is stable only with coax.

I have a dac from previous GB and it locks fine to all the inputs in the very same configuration (same laptop, same cables and input formats)

Daniil
I played SPDIF for an hour or so and after that I switched to USB. Now it plays for two hours already any without problems.

Today after 8 times switching dac on and off I finally managed to get the music out of it but the screen says "no lock" and volume is not changing.
After this strange iterations of all the formats on the screen dac goes to some wierd state and does not change volume or input.
I had the same problem today where the controller would not respond to anything after the DAC went into unlock state after the iterations. I'm beginning to think that the problem might be the controller's firmware. The iterations between PCM and DSD occur very fast, so the controller must be polling the ES9018 chip at least a few times per second in order to be able to switch between the input formats on the screen that fast. Also the state where the volume and inputs can't be changed must for sure be firmware related.

@Quaghao & audiodesign: Is there any chance that you can share the source code of the firmware?

Problem appears to be with the computer

I am able to play actual DSD files. The audio dropouts occur when performing on the fly conversion to DSD (DoP), which appears to be a result of CPU thrashing (according to resourcemon). I have to run additional diagnostics on the system to find the root cause, but the DAC appears to be OK. Thanks for the help.

Are you using WASAPI output driver ?

USB cable is short ?

Have you checked cpu load on pc used ?

Only DSD sound bad or also PCM ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.