• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board - version 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please write your name in the list below and choose you want to:

1. adeveza DAC module + output stage
2. papapew DAC module + output stage
3. smokingdog DAC module + output stage
4. gde3 DAC module + amanero
5. villanueva DAC module +output stage

20 the end .

add or remove options, like output stage, chassie, transformers and Amanero usb module, see relative cost on post #2
1. adeveza: DAC module + amanero + output stage + transformer (Complete Set)
2. papapew: DAC module + amanero + output stage + transformer
3. smokingdog: DAC module + output stage
4. gde3: DAC module + amanero
5. villanueva: DAC module +output stage
6. MattMax: output stage

1. adeveza: DAC module + amanero + output stage + transformer (Complete Set: Item 6)

LCD 4x20

Here the preview of the new controller and firmware working with 4x20 LCD.

Attachments

• Ph_192KHz.jpg
    Ph_192KHz.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 1,246
I will give a few humble opinions on this setup:

1) Should use VFD display instead of LCD for highend DAC. Even a basic 16x2 VFD is still better than the glaring 20x4 LCD. OLED will be even better.

2) Should use the USB-capable PIC18F4550 MCU instead of PIC16F877A. After programmed it with boatloader and firmware, with just a few passive components and a mini USB B-type connector designed to the controller board, user only need a USB cable and PC to re-programme it. User does not need to go through the hassle of purchasing Pick-It programmer.

3) Should indicate maximum supported sampling rate on COAX, AES/EBU and Toslink input and well-tested it.

4) Consider giving the existing DAC-END R users with Opamp IV some discount on the discrete output stage. I personally feel that spending more than $100 on discrete IV + $60 on Opamp IV is a bit steep. And where is the plain discrete IV daughter card that utilise the Opamp IV regulator?

5) Consider using rotary encoded knob (with push function) instead of buttons.

Thanks.

Last edited:
1. adeveza: DAC module + amanero + output stage + transformer (Complete Set: Item 6)
7. CAAD: output stage

1) Should use VFD display instead of LCD for highend DAC. Even a basic 16x2 VFD is still better than the glaring 20x4 LCD. OLED will be even better.

Yes, we are looking about a 4x20 OLED but these are very expensive

2) Should use the USB-capable PIC18F4550 MCU instead of PIC16F877A. After programmed it with boatloader and firmware, with just a few passive components and a mini USB B-type connector designed to the controller board, user only need a USB cable and PC to re-programme it. User does not need to go through the hassle of purchasing Pick-It programmer.

Some years ago I tried the configuration with the bootloader on 18F4550, I wanted to make an usb oscilloscope, I found it a bit complex but in this context has some advantages.

3) Should indicate maximum supported sampling rate on COAX, AES/EBU and Toslink input and well-tested it.

I have tested until 192KHz

4) Consider giving the existing DAC-END R users with Opamp IV some discount on the discrete output stage. I personally feel that spending more than $100 on discrete IV + $60 on Opamp IV is a bit steep. And where is the plain discrete IV daughter card that utilise the Opamp IV regulator?

Quanghao have very low profit margins so it can not make additional discounts

5) Consider using rotary encoded knob (with push function) instead of buttons.

Yes, this can be considered as an option on firmware.

Multichannel DSD

Hi Andrea,
I wonder what happens when you try to play multichannel DSD music with your DAC. would it be reproduced in Stereo anyway?
And finally, it is possible to include in the firmware the ability to play for the 8 channels?

Congratulations to both for the good work!

Rafael.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.