Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quanghao Audio Design Quanghao Audio Design is a producer of DIY Audiophile Kits and PCB boards, selected from many listening tests!

Old 5th September 2018, 11:33 AM   #431
Jezza56 is offline Jezza56  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Ray,
Great news I have got sound...lol... although it isn't very loud but I hope there may be something we can do to increase output..... it turns out that the input + and - labels are wrong on the board so I was basically shorting out the board to ground through the input rca. Is there anything I can do to increase the output.

Regards

Jerry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0560.jpg (274.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0565.jpg (260.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 5th September 2018, 03:28 PM   #432
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza56 View Post
Is there anything I can do to increase the output.
There isn't any way to significantly increase the gain of the tube circuit.
Is your step-up transformer x10 gain? What is your cartridge's nominal output?

Last edited by rayma; 5th September 2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 5th September 2018, 10:25 PM   #433
diyAudio Member

Hi Ray, my MC output is 0.5 mv and transformer is 10 times si
O I will have to get larger step up.
Old 5th September 2018, 10:28 PM   #434
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Ray, my MC output is 0.5 mv and transformer is 10 times si
O I will have to get larger step up.
That really should be enough gain. How about the gain in your line stage and power amp?
Old 5th September 2018, 10:57 PM   #435
diyAudio Member

I will try the phono on my Denon tonight as the yamaha amp is from the early 90s and let you know. I will double check the stepup output as i did buy it second hand and the original owner was not pleased with its performance.
Old 5th September 2018, 11:13 PM   #436
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I will double check the stepup output as i did buy it second hand and the original
owner was not pleased with its performance.
The step-up should have enough gain to allow normal volume with any associated equipment.
Old 7th September 2018, 02:43 PM   #437
diyAudio Member

Hi Ray, I purchased an oscilloscope today and although I don't understand a lot about them yet it did allow me to observe voltages a bit better. I don't have a test record so just used normal lps and it seems I am not getting any more than 2 to 3Mv out of the step up transformer. I have a project Phono box from which I set to MM and plugged output into my phono stage then into an amplifier and it works fine although there are 2 RIAA circuits in play instead of one as the project box has its own RIAA circuit also. To achieve normal volume the phono stage needs 4.5Mvs so I am thinking I will need a pair of Lundahl LL1941 although I still don't know why the MC1 does not provide enough gain as it specs suggest it to be 1:12.9. The MC1 spec states 47Kohms for input impedance where the phono is 50Kohms does this have any bearing on gain.
Old 7th September 2018, 05:32 PM   #438
diyAudio Member

Quote:
used normal lps and it seems I am not getting any more than 2 to 3Mv out of the step up transformer.
You are measuring about right. There should be enough gain with the step-up and one phono stage.
All the specs are fine. Please don't start buying things, because you need to determine the problem.
Do you have a mm cartridge to try, or a different step-up?

OLD THREAD Hi-end phono preamplifier by Andrea CiuffoliHide this!Advertise here!