super regulator vs a good stiff LCLCLC power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In Doede Duama's DDDAC, the 1543 chip is supplied by a 9 volt power supply. A stack of 8 1543 chips will draw nearly half an amp.

I had used a 7AH lead acid battery for this supply but they loose capacity after less than a year.

I thought of using a power supply followed by the Jung Super Regulator, but I had read in various threads, that regulators can sound a little "closed in".

So I built a stiff power supply, large transformer, followed by an LCLCLC filter. I thought that such a supply would have it's own regulation.

It sounds pretty good vs the battery...I'm wondering if the Jung Super Regulator would be better??? Any opionions??

audionut said:

I built a stiff power supply, large transformer, followed by an LCLCLC filter..... It sounds pretty good vs the battery...

Hi audionut,
I have a dddac and am stil experimenting with PSUs.

I've never tried a super regulator. But I've tried SLA batteries with/without stiffening caps, SMPS, and standard regulated linear. So far (i think) I slightly prefer battery, but to be honest it's not so convenient because I like to leave the dac on 24/7.

I would love to see a schematic (with values) of your LCLCLC supply.... :)

At the moment I'm thinking of going for
this PSU design .

Might be worth looking at :confused:

Another annoyance I'm not sure of how to deal with is that if the dddac is switched off I have to restart XP to get it recognised again -- have you figured a workaround for that?

all best, ssmith

:smash:

I am using ALW superegulator on 24 chip DDDAC.I bypassed the onboard regs and set the supereg for 8V.This step removed some veiling of the 317 regs and bass,dynamics and detail increased.I feel the supereg is not at all closed in compared to battery.In fact it has a more clear presentation and the bass is better.However if you feel some cd playback is harsh the batteries have a way of sweetening things up.They are hard to beat except for the best power supplies.
Before the superg I am using a zener regulated mosfet follower type supply.
I should use one supereg for each dac module ideally.will get to that eventually....

audionut said:

Since you are asking about Windows XP, I guess that you built Doede's 1543-USB Dac...? How do you like its sound?

I have the 24-chip dac (2 modules) with the USB>I2S board. It is being fed lossless FLAC from a PC.
I like it a lot -- though the only real point of comparison I have is the Benchmark DAC1. For me the DDDac was an upgrade over the DAC1 -- loses nothing on detail but I always found the DAC1 a bit fatiguing in the long run.

Though I hate to say one is better than the other because one thing I've learned in my (limited) diyaudio experience is that so many things are system dependent and subject to tastes. Also, when I was using the DAC1 before it may have been limited by the PC>SPDIF it was being fed, or maybe not. The DDDac also sounded remarkably similar to the DAC1 with an SMPS -- very detailed, very fast. On balance I prefer battery, more laid back but still detailed.

I've compared the DDDac to various PCI soundcards -- 1212m, Juli@ -- as well as my Marantz CD17 player, and I prefer the dddac by far.

However I'm also still fiddling with the DDDac - PSUs, changing caps/rload resistors, and I still need to add a tent clock to the USB board.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.