T-amp, too loud, too soon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I have been using T-amp for some time and I am very happy with it. But after doing the input mod (2uF paper in oil) my amp gets too loud too soon. I’m using the stock pot (50K). There no more smooth increase in loudness. My amp gets from silent (7 o’clock) to pretty loud (9 o’clock) and then slowly increases volume in the remaining travel. I’ve tried 2 stock T-amp pots and it’s the same thing. How do I fix this? Other value of pot (20k,100k) ? Or put a resistor somewhere? I removed R01 and R02 in stealth mod, so maybe that’s the problem?

panomaniac said:
Sounds like a wiring problem at the pot.

Can you post a diagram of how you have wired it?
Don't post what you think you did, post what you really did. Trace your wiring.

Here is a diagram :cannotbe: and a pic. Be gentle it's my first soldering job.

Attachments

• pict3519-2.jpg
    pict3519-2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 374
What I can say from the picture and the schema - you have just added extra caps in series to existing caps placed on the sonic impact board - this cant bring you any bass benefit, you gotta replace those onboard stock caps - which is a pretty tedious work since they are ver very small and the copper traces below the get destroyed pretty easily

deiksac said:
What I can say from the picture and the schema - you have just added extra caps in series to existing caps placed on the sonic impact board - this cant bring you any bass benefit, you gotta replace those onboard stock caps - which is a pretty tedious work since they are ver very small and the copper traces below the get destroyed pretty easily

I removed R01 & R02 and removed and briged C3&4. The bass benifits are there, the mod is working fine, but the volume is the problem.

Attachments

• pict3523.jpg
    pict3523.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 285
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the photo and the schema. At 1st glance, all looks good. I'll do a little double checking later.

The problem you describe often comes when there is no ground to the center of the pot. The pot works as a voltage divider, dividing off your signal to ground. Without a ground connection, it can't do its dividing job, it just becomes a variable resistance in the path of the signal.

Your ground connections are the 1st thing to check. I suspect the problem lies there.

The other thing might be that you've got the pot wired backwards. Check that, too

BTW, are those SAFCO caps you've got there?

panomaniac said:
Thanks for the photo and the schema. At 1st glance, all looks good. I'll do a little double checking later.

The problem you describe often comes when there is no ground to the center of the pot. The pot works as a voltage divider, dividing off your signal to ground. Without a ground connection, it can't do its dividing job, it just becomes a variable resistance in the path of the signal.

Your ground connections are the 1st thing to check. I suspect the problem lies there.

The other thing might be that you've got the pot wired backwards. Check that, too

BTW, are those SAFCO caps you've got there?

Thanks for your insight. I'll try wiring the pot the other way around, and then check the ground. I'm new to all of this, how can I check my ground with a multimeter to see if everything is ok?
Don't know what SAFCO is. These are Russian papers in oil, taken from an old medical instrument. I bough them from a guy who took the thing apart and was selling some tubes and caps. Here is a photo of one.

Attachments

• pict3526.jpg
    pict3526.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 241
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the photo of the can.

SIC/SAFCO is a French capacitor maker who makes (or made) very nice paper in oil caps. They look a lot like your Rusky caps.

Your soldering looks suspect. You probabaly have a bad solder joint on the ground wire.

To test: Set the volume at a reasonable level, like 7:00~9:00. Play some music. Wiggle the wires. If the ground is bad, but makes contact when you wiggle it, the sound level will drop, but not go away.

panomaniac said:
Thanks for the photo of the can.

Your soldering looks suspect. You probabaly have a bad solder joint on the ground wire.

To test: Set the volume at a reasonable level, like 7:00~9:00. Play some music. Wiggle the wires. If the ground is bad, but makes contact when you wiggle it, the sound level will drop, but not go away.

Today I tried reversing the signal wires on the pot (input and output), and everything snapped back to normal. :headbash:

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and suggestions. I'm sure I'll be looking for your help again very soon, as I've just ordered AMP5 from 41Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.