Monacor SPH-165KEP + DT-25N DIY project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I really recommend don't use the Monacor SPH-165KEP!

First of all

1) The Thiele/Small Paramters given on the Monacor Website are completely **** (sorry), they've made a big mistake. Look at SPH-165CP and tell me if you know the TSP from somewhere... Also you can see that the TSP given for the KEP can not be true, due to the Impedance-peak at the plot (fs=40Hz)!

2) The KEP has a very bad bass output, I know this because I use it in my "diplomarbeit" (Maybe due to the false TSP)?

3) There is also a horrible dip at exactly 1kHz, which may be created by the phaseplug.

4) Distortion is not as good as mentioned. For that price, look for some Seas or Co.

Greets

Hi Iggy,

if it needs to be Monacor, I can recommand this design here. It's very well documented, with lots of messurements, xover and all.

The designer will most certainly awnser questions via email in english.

or post your questions here in the Forum thread, I'll be there every once in a while and may help with translation if needed.

best, LC

Thanx for all the advices. This is my first (but not the last) DIY speaker. I wanted to start with something cheap and easy to build. Drivers are now here and playing in free air. Promising! I have Wh. Diamonds 8.3 and I hope (and think) that these speakers will sound a class above them. My next project will probably be something more demanding, like ProAc R. 2.5 clone, so there are Scan-Speaks. They can be bought in Croatia and I already asked for the price. Greetings to Split!

Could anyone tell me will I have a problem with baffle step compensation on this project http://jan-jaap.vegter.nu/bs.html. I don't know how to calculate it and how to fix it, if it is necessary. If someone could help me and tell me what to do I would be grateful. I don't know is it normal that, when I play them in free air, the drivers appears to be too ''bright'' (too much high frequencies). I would like to know what to do ASAP 'cause the boxes are nearly finished. Thank you very much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.